Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reel Life: The Movie Thread
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Media Whores
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51
bunnyb
I have always loved Sam Elliot, since the first time I saw Road House (with Patrick Swayze) and Mask (with Cher and Eric Stoltz). That voice. Mmmm.

It made the movie for me although I do enjoy Nic Cage's eccentricities, the jelly beans amused me but then I'm easily amused! I watched Gone With 60 Seconds again tonight and I enjoy his films, they're not great but they're entertaining (saying that, I have no inclination at all to watch The Wicker Man). Also, Angelina is hotttt in that movie.
ginger_kitty
Glad to hear I am not alone in my Sam Elliot lust.

I liked the jelly beans in the martini glass thing, too. I really like Gone in 60 seconds, but I have noticed he is kind of hit or miss with his roles. I also liked 8mm and The WeatherMan.

I adored Garden State!! I was so relieved at the end, when they finished with a happy ending. I was close to getting mad and hating him for leaving her. I thought it was a very moving flim.
designermedusa
I saw Premonition this weekend, and it was horrible. Terrible story, religious tones that I didn't think would be there and it was basically laughable.

I also saw The Lives of Others, and it was an interesting story.
sidecar
I love the Nicolas Cage that's in The Weather Man and Matchstick Men, and pretend that it's a different person in The Wicker Man and Ghost Rider.

The Apartment is from the 1960s, I think. I saw it at a revival house a few years back. What a wonderful, hilarious, sad movie...it's worth finding!

I saw The Namesake last week. It was on the high end of mediocre. Next week I'm seeing Hot Fuzz and I CAN'T WAIT!
chachaheels
Spike Lee Films. There's a topic for a feminist bulletin board, all right.

Thanks for the link back, GT, on that Loughton film--and I am reduced to tears every time I see his Quasimodo too. My dad is a Victor Hugo fanatic and I saw that film quite a lot when I was a kid. I had no idea (really--how did I miss this movie?) Loughton directed a film of his own and I'll have to hunt it out.
girltrouble
i think you'll like it, chacha. i tried desperately not to watch it, but my ex needed to see what happened to the kids. i'm glad we ended up watching it thru. it's a bit hammy, but it holds an odd magic, that film.

seems you and i aren't the only ones to cry by his quasimodo. i was talking to one of my friends and he said he cried too. so funny, i always thought i was just being weepy, but in talking about it, i started getting all weepy again. it was just one of those perfomances that just tugs at you. we then went on to discus laughton's supposed bisexuality. lol.

as for spike lee-- his sheen wore off long ago. but i can think of 3 films that would be in the discussion: she's gotta have it, girl 6, she hate me. and as a friend quipped about she hate me: she does now.

and i'll agree with the sam elliot thing. he was the best thing about ghostrider (other than the hilarity of casting peter fonda), and there is something strangely hot about him, but then, being from colorado, there is something sexy about cowboys (as opposed to hicks/rednecks).

anna k
Sam Elliott rocks, and he and Katharine Ross seem so chill and under the radar.
Divala
Count me in on the Sam Elliot lust. If every man could look that good when they get old, I couldn't wait to be middle aged.
crazyoldcatlady
i heard women were walking out of the movie 300...

why hasn't anyone* said anything about that?

*= the media
chachaheels
tell me more...I must have missed this, (in fact, no one I know has any interest in seeing this movie, so I've not really heard anything about it at all)
sybarite
Crazycatlady, I heard on local radio that Iranians were protesting 300 for its representation of the Persian army, but a (cursory) google turned up nothing about women protesters... what's been happening?
vesicapisces
Confession: my ex-husband is almost a dead ringer for Sam Elliott, right down to the mustache and the silver hair. Pity he's such a douchebag.
girltrouble

SCI FI channel is showing kingdom hospital today, which is a shoddy cheap stephen king remake of lars van trier's the kingdom which is actually a great odd, ghost story, and it is available on netflix.
anna k
I watched Annie Hall in my class today and thought the lead characters were insufferably annoying. I used to think it was cute and sweet before, but their whininess and paranoia got on my nerves. Plus I asked the teacher if that was Paul Simon playing Annie's L.A. boyfriend and she didn't know. She also was surprised that I mentioned that Jeff Goldblum appeared in a scene with one line. My teacher is older than me, but acts like a ditzy girl sometimes.
crazyoldcatlady
most of what i've heard is anecdotal, but i read an EW article about what actually goes down in the movie... lots of rape, killing children, killing pregnant women. sounds like entertainment to me!

GOD FORBID we see male full frontal or a woman's prolonged orgasm without being slapped by the MPAA.

AND, not to totally derail, this leads me to the movie This Film is Not Yet Rated.

LOVED IT.

And I so want to kiss Kevin Smith for his comments in that movie.
girltrouble

are you talking about 300? ive seen it, and there isn't "lots of rape, killing children or killing pregnant women." it's taken, very faithfully from the graphic novel by frank miller, and you can find it at any bookstore. you can flip thru it and see almost exactly what is in the film.

spoilers below

of all the things you mentioned, there are two scenes that come close. in the first they are talking about the oracle, who, we are told by voice over, that she was the prettiest girl who was given to the priests who would have sex with her. if memory serves, at worst you saw one of the priests licking her neck. the other scene is where the queen is blackmailed into having sex with her enemy, and it isn't terrilbly graphic, and she eventually takes revenge by killing him. now, 300 is certainly violent, but not in the way you are talking. women, save the queen and the oracle, pretty much have no part in the movie. really, the violence takes place almost entirely on the battle field (except the queen bit), which is entirely male. and it is violent, to be sure, but it is stylized, and personally, i don't think it is as violent as say, the cook the theif, titus, saw, hostel, oldboy, audition, and certainly not ichi the killer.
there are plenty of horror movies or asian extreme movies that are far worse.
faerietails2
Oh, I loved "This Film Is Not Yet Rated!"

"And I so want to kiss Kevin Smith for his comments in that movie."
-I know! I even went straight to his myspace page and left him a note saying how I loved him for that. smile.gif
kari
I saw The Lives of Others this weekend. Excellent. It starts off a bit slow, and really gets interesting towards the middle to end. I agree with it winning Best Foreign Film.
tommynomad
Two new ones from here in the Hermit Kingdom. No great shakes, but better than most Hollywood fare nonetheless.

Radio Star was about a washed-up one-hit wonder who never wanted fame, just to write songs and make people happy. His agent wanted more. Eventually, he talks him into taking a rural dj job in an effort to revive his career. This is simply the story of two men, their friendship and co-dependence. Featuring some great stills whose composition belies the otherwise fairly regular filmmaking. Also of note is a pretty hilarious cameo by the Korean punk band Crying Nut.

Marathon is based on a true story about a man with autism who runs. Not Forrest Gump by a long shot, though. Much of the story is about his mother and his coach, and their conflicting views on how he should progress. The absent father and rebellious brother also round out a fine cast. Unfortunately, the filmmakers were more concerned with making Cho-won's autism cute (self-mutilation is only hinted at; never shown) than authentic, and there are several moments that just don't jibe with any of the hundreds of autistic people I've known. That being said some aspects (scheduling, memory, love of a single TV program, and Cho-won's hilarious obsession with zebras, are right on the money.) Overall, this is a better-than-average mainstream film.
*NB do not confuse this with Barefoot Ki-Bong, a very different film about a handicapped runner.*

Shenomad and I LOVED The Illusionist. Paul Giamatti can act with his forehead!
kari
Tommy, I have The Illusionist at home right now. Can't wait to watch it.

I went to see Reign over me.l It was good, though not spectacular. Adam Sandler's performance was rather one dimensional, I think. Don Cheadle was great, as usual.
girltrouble
hey tommy, as the other korean film lover i wanted to ask you if you have seen linda linda linda or all about lili chou chou? i want to see linda cos it stars the woman who is in the host, and i watched most of lili chou, and i loved it, but i couldn't finish it...but it was strangely beautiful. it remineded me of seeing 80's films from new zealand or austrailia (like sweetie or the crush), there is this lush green and blue green that's almost dreamy...

girltrouble

yay!

a while back i posted something about one of my all time favorite movies that was showing in nyc, killer of sheep. it's been called a classic of modern cinema, but has rarely been seen unless you have a connection or the occasional film festival/archival showing because of legal issues. well it looks like this great american film will get a release after more than 25 years on the shelf.

if there were two movies that are so great that they need to be released no matter what, but, sadly probably never would, one would be todd haynes' superstar-- a karen carpenter bio pic using barbie dolls. haynes actually whittled the karen doll down to reflect the ravages of anorexia on her body. the shocking thing about that film is how deeply effecting it is.

the other would be killer of sheep.

completely different, but equally effecting is the lyrical quality of killer of sheep. i don't think i would be far off if i said it is quite possibly the best black film ever made, but i think that would be marginalizing it. there is something terribly beautifly human about the film. if six feet under is your kind of show, i think you'd love this movie. the pacing is different, much more poetic, but there is that same strange, haunting love of life, a bittersweet celebration of the human condition, that is unforgetable. i saw the film more than ten years ago, but listening to a snippet from the film durring an NPR piece, had me weeping. it is a slice of life look at early 70's watts. it's not a violent movie, it's one of those working class movies that americans never make. the brits have directors like mike leigh or ken loach, and the british new wave was primarily about working class docs, but here in the us, woking class issues rarely get sympathetic treatment, unless it is a pittstop on a road to wealth (coalminer's daughter); or as an effective, but somewhat simplistic political tract (norma rae). killer is neither. it is simply an astonishly good movie, and in the end i can only echo what someone on imdb said about it: "never pass up chance to see it."

LINK TO NPR STORY:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9213673

there are few films i think are so warm or generous. in a strange way, i think the other movie killer of sheep reminds me of is fireworks which, i'm pretty sure i've posted about before. fireworks (or hana-bi-- a neat trick combining the words "fireworks" and "sunflower") like killer of..., has an elequent quietness that is really so amazing in a movie. directed by takeshi "beat" kitano (yes, he is one of the guys on spike tv's most extreme elimination or mxe), the charecters have a contemplativeness, that breaks your heart. fireworks, is the story of an middle aged violent cop who finds out that his wife is dying, and wants out of the violent life he's been a part of. the movie alternates between thoughtful, beautifully composed silent set pieces to explosive gangster violence. in a way it kind of foreshadows the transition asian movies from asian extreme to much more art house fare. his later film, Zatôichi, a retelling of a blind swordsman builds on the use of sound (or lack thereof), in fireworks.

another film i should mention is to sleep with anger, made by killer of sheep director, charles burnett, i want to say this is a horror film, but not in the conventional sense. a basic synopsis is a relative comes to visit. turns out he's the guest from hell. there are not scary knife weilding scenes, but rather that discomfort of realizing that the person you've invited into your house is toxic. he's a manipulator and, frankly, a bad man. it's all done realisticly, so as i said it's not really a horror movie, but a movie about a person who is horrible.

well, since i've come this far, i might as well go for broke. i told you about two student films that are masterpieces, (killer of.. and superstar), and i've told you about one of burnett's later films (to sleep...) i should also tell you about todd haynes' later films that is not just a personal favorite, but, also sort of a horror movie too: safe. i will tell you right off, safe is not for everyone. it's pace is slow, but it is a sort of boa constrictor of a movie that wraps around you and squeezes the air out of you. as i said, not a horror movie in the conventional sense, but a movie about horrible things happening. again, very naturalistic. no gore, just horrible. thinks creepy in almost a rosemary's baby kind of way. it's the story of a house wife who may or may not have a mysterious immune disorder. what makes this film so great is the mise-en-scene. one scene comes to mind that so perfectly frames julianne moore's sterile life: a shot of her almost trapped within several boxes, drinking a glass of milk. then of course, there's lester this is a great, creepy movie.

FILM LIST:
killer of sheep
to sleep with anger
superstar
safe
fireworks
Zatôichi
coalminer's daughter
norma rae

chachaheels
Girltrouble, thank you for that post. I thought about you yesterday as I was driving through the country, listening to that particular NPR broadcast about Killer of Sheep (so it's nice to see your post here today!). I also thought, after listening to the piece, about how different film in the US might have been if Killer of Sheep hadn't been held back by the mess of acquiring music rights. I'd never heard about the movie before, I found the director to be very intriguing, and I hope the film would show somewhere in Canada soon now that it will be put into broad distribution.

Also, Todd Haynes' "Safe" is probably the most in-depth illustration of the spread of fear as a means for ensuring extremely secure social control. Never has the portrayal of a person's complete loss of faith in the idea that their integrity as a human being might be able to counteract any "threat" been shown so well (and it's like she's convinced into the idea to give up her power, so slowly and methodically). Creepy is the best word for it.

girltrouble

hah, well i'm flattered, chacha.

between killer of sheep and tears of the black tiger, two movies that i loved, and never thought i'd see on the big screen have been released. i can die happy now. lol. superstar: the karen carpenter story, however will never be released. the carpenter family hates the film, as does the mattel company. s' too bad, but atleast the direcor is making other movies now. god, i still haven't seen far from heaven. which i need to correct right now! come to think of it, i'd love to see norma rae again....
sybarite
GT, I loved Safe and went to see Far From Heaven out of admiration for Haynes. It's a thoughtful attempt to make a classic melodrama in the style of Douglas Sirk (which I know you'll appreciate). The cast, particularly Quaid, do a great job with the material. I saw it a while ago and seem to remember I had some smallish problems with it, but then again my expectations would have been high. It's got that 50s Technicolor look.

Danny Boyle (Shalllow Grave, Trainspotting, 28 Days Later) has a new film out: Sunshine is decent sci-fi with the inevitable Cillian Murphy. I'm not crazy about Boyle's movies, especially when they're written by Alex Garland, as this is. It's not nearly as self-indulgent as The Beach, though, and plays around with the Icarus myth a bit which is interesting.
snafooey
Girtrouble, you can check out Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story on Google video. I haven't been able to watch it yet - it's really dark on my computer for some reason even when I fiddle around with colour contrast, but I should probably watch it before someone complains and it gets taken down.
girltrouble

the ever snappy snafooey:
Girtrouble, you can check out Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story on Google video. I haven't been able to watch it yet - it's really dark on my computer for some reason even when I fiddle around with colour contrast, but I should probably watch it before someone complains and it gets taken down.

god i love the internets.

*sniff* sadly i'm on dial up. but i might have to call one of my tech friends and see if she can bootleg it fer me....

syb, i am curious what you dislike about boyle films... or is it the garland that you dislike?

speaking of garland...have you heard anything about the sequel to 28 days later? 28 weeks later? i want to like it, cos i lurve me some zombies (just finished walking dead book1), but something about it....well looks boring. lol. maybe it's that the premise sets it up for a drawn out opening, and zombie/monster movies shouldn't have a drawn out opening. put everything we need to know on a title card and get on with it, is how i feel, and luckily most of those genre have been like that...(see the host, 28 days, dawn of the dead, etc), so i've been happy, hell even children of men, just got on with it instead of long set ups. thank god. i think audiences are a bit more sophisticated and don't need to be eased into it.

i've always wanted to really like douglas sirk, he's got a great name, and he is the king of melodrama, but honestly, i can only take him in bits. i think it's the soap operatic scale he had that bugs me. i like my melodrama small-- working or middle class-- like almovadar. my class sympathy is too far to the left to have much patience for the troubles of people in big houses....unless the houses are being burnt to the ground...jk. but i love the brains on todd haynes. he's one of those directors-- like todd solondz-- even if i didn't care for their last, i'm always curious to see what he's done.
ginger_kitty
I watched Curse of the Golden Flower this weekend. It has such lush, vivid backgorunds and scenery, it was like a visual overdose. I really enjoyed it. The story/characters were kind of complex at times, and in the end I wondered why they made some of thier choices, but very good film.
ginger_kitty
I rented Unknown, which is a great movie. If you like Memento, you'll like this film. It has similiar themes and the same kind of feel, and a couple of unexpected twists at the end.
anna k
I went to an early afternoon showing of Grindhouse. It was so much fun and so packed with stuff everyone would like. Zombies, sex, car chases, kitchiness, girl bonding, one-liners, etc. Planet Terror gets a bit dragged out at times, but it's enjoyable to watch Rose McGowan use her machine gun leg, Freddy Rodriguez living it up as an pint-size action hero, and Marley Shelton being more interesting than she's been in other movies. In Death Proof, the movie is owned by Kurt Russell and Zoe Bell, who has so much charisma that I'm happy that QT wrote that part for her. I liked the girl talk scenes between Zoe, Rosario Dawson, Tracie Thoms, and Mary Elizabeth Winstead, QT again has a good ear for writing for women, more than the cliched self-aware tough guy talk that was in Planet Terror.

Danny Trejo cracked me up in Machete, that looks like the starring role he was born to play.
thereshegoes
"Grindhouse" was great! the female characters were really well fleshed out in the QT feature, which is pretty cool for a reviveal of the breasts-and-death genre.

i was surprised how much i liked "Grindhouse", but then, i was also surprised how much i liked "Black Snake Moan".
lunia666
Saw Grindhouse this weekend at the Drive-in with my boyfriend. I loved it althourg I don't think Death Proof is enough to stand on it's on has a single movie . Not that I didn't love it anyway.
sybarite
Saw The Curse of the Golden Flower last night. Such a stunning, even overwhelming film. Completely visually excessive, set during the Tang dynasty in 10th century China, it's permeated with opulence, from the palace interiors to the OTT regalia worn by the royal family.

Gong Li (who I love anyway)and Chow-Yun Fat deliver extraordinary performances. It would be melodrama if done with less than utter conviction. INterestingly, the theatre was packed when I went.

Eh, GT, I just think Boyle is overrated. He's good at cinematic moments but I still think he lacks the ability to make a coherent, realised film. His movies are uneven in pacing, tone and performances, IMO. He gets a lot of hype over here, I think because the UK film industry is currently somewhat lacklustre.
mandolyn
recently watched:

the prestige. LOVED IT. superbly done, tho hard to follow. scarlett nearly ruined it.
the illusionist. hated it.
flags of our fathers. meh. could've been better.
babel: hated it. would've preferred one single movie about the deaf girl.
jarhead. pretty intense. glad i finally saw it. jamie foxx did a damn good job.
volver: excellent fun. i think i don't hate penelope anymore.
infamous. liked it better than capote, tho the disparity between comic and tragic tones was too disjointed. sandra bullock was stellar.
an inconvenient truth. meh.

next on tap:

the last king of scotland.
the queen.
mermaidgirl13
Sybarite, I'm going to be watching the Golden Flower tonight.

Mando, I too hated the illusionist and I was so disappointed! With those two actors, I really hoped it'd be something great. What a let down. I agree that Scarlett almost ruined The Prestige. Both female leads in each movie were crap.

I don't think I'm going to bother watching Babel, but I am looking forward to The Queen.
ginger_kitty
I saw Grindhouse last week and loved it! I really liked Death Proof, Kurt Russell played creepy really well. I liked the whole girls kicking ass thing. I am a sucker for zombie movies so I really enjoyed the first half also.

William H. Macy is disturbing in Edmond. I rented that this weekend, and was bizarrely entranced.
great
I see that everyone thinks that Grindhouse is very good. I didn't see it yet. I think that I will see it this weekend. I belive that every movie that's directed by Robert Rodriguez is great, so I won't miss this one. wink.gif
designermedusa
I saw three films this weekend.

High Falls starring Maggie Gyllenhaal, it was shown as a work in progress at a film festival. The story is about a man who comes back from a trip to Japan, and has an awkward weekend with his wife and best friend. It was a conversation film, and I loved it.

Waitress, I loved the tone of the film, but it didn't live up to the hype.

Fracture, I thought this film was Hollywood formula, and was disappointed by Ryan Gosling.
Porn Star
The only movie that I saw this weekend is The pursuit of happyness and I have to admit that I cried.
kari
I watched the Pursuit of Happyness this weekend also, and it wasn't as sad as I thought it would be. It was a definite downer, don't get me wrong, but my friend & I were prepared for a cry fest. Neither of us shed a tear. I do wish they'd have shown more positive things at the end. Like, where did he & his son move to, how did his job go, etc.

ginger_kitty
I watched Volver today, it was sadder than I expected. But very touching.
nomadsoul
ladies, do NOT rent Evil Bong. its a shitty B movie (with only some slightly entertaining parts). It may have tommy chong, and lots of potsmoking, but the acting makes me thing that the director literally just found some college dorm at a random college and told the guys living there to act like themselves while they filmed it. its horrible. anyone else care to agree or disagree?
thingsarenice
Has anyone seen the commercial for that new Drew Barrymore movie about her falling in love with a poker player? Because it kind of looks like the worst movie ever. To support my argument, I offer this exchange from said commercial:

(Drew Barrymore is walking off into the horizon)
Love interest poker guy: What are you doing?
Drew: (dejetedly, throwing hand in air) Making a good fold.

**GROAN**
anna k
Yes, the whole trailer was full of bad gambling metaphors. It looks boring and maudlin.
girltrouble
meh. i think drew is the worst thing to hit hollywood since the labrea tar pits.
kari
Oh god, that gambling movie does look horrible. Ick.

I watched The Illusionist this weekend. I enjoyed it, though definitely not as good as The Prestige, which I loved.

I am so irritated....just checked my Netflix list to see what was coming next & it is a movie I recently watched. Bah. Guess I need to check the list more frequently to update it.

hazystargazer
The best movie I've seen in the past couple of months is "Stranger Than Fiction", with Will Farrell and Maggie Gyllenhall. I'm not much of a Will Farrell fan, but he was actually quite good in a more dramatic role. It reminded me a teeny-tiny bit of "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind", which is one of my favorite movies ever.
hazystargazer
QUOTE(ginger_kitty @ Apr 16 2007, 06:02 PM) *
I saw Grindhouse last week and loved it! I really liked Death Proof, Kurt Russell played creepy really well. I liked the whole girls kicking ass thing. I am a sucker for zombie movies so I really enjoyed the first half also.

William H. Macy is disturbing in Edmond. I rented that this weekend, and was bizarrely entranced.

Cool, glad to hear that Grindhouse is getting some rave reviews on here. I think the boyfriend was a bit surprised when I mentioned that I wouldn't mind seeing it...hell, I think I surprised myself tongue.gif. But it's Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez, so that can't be bad. Perhaps we'll have to check it out this weekend...
anna k
I'm looking forward to seeing Paris, Je'Taime. I first read about it in 2004, and it's finally all done. I like the multicultural feel of it and watching various interpretations of life in Paris.
_octinoxate
*pops head into thread for first time* Hi ladies!

More votes for "eternal sunshine" and "the prestige"... but i came in here to ask if anyone else is thrilled about the golden compass being made into a movie???!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.