Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Midwestern Mamas!
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Friends and Family
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
janeinane
Thanks surly! You rock.

Meeting -- Yes! Hopleaf is good -- I also like the Edgewater in that area --
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10138/?view=beerfly
pollystyrene
Hmm, that looks good too, Jane. Do they have food? I'm not a huge beer drinker- or a big drinker at all, really- I have a few beers that I like, but I probably wouldn't drink more than one. So, the food at Hopleaf is calling me as much as the beer selection.
turbojenn
*drools* I'm there. Any 'ol time at the Hopleaf....OMG, their fritz with garlic aioli...I'm not a beer drinker either, but they do have cider on tap, and that always suits me fine. It can be quite busy, so I'd suggest meeting up early.
pollystyrene
Well, do we want to start talking about dates? If we're looking at Saturdays, I am free 9/30, 10/7 and 10/14. Then I'm out of town until 10/26. Sundays, I'm good 9/24, 10/1, 10/8 and 10/15. Then not again until 10/29. I think humanist works on Saturdays, but I'm not sure how late. Once we've got a table we'll be there for awhile and I'm sure she'll make it at some point.

Either place is fine with me, as long as jane's place serves food.

I'm going to need some advice from someone more knowledgeable about beer- Hopleaf doesn't seem to carry any of the brands I've tried and liked. I like a more mild flavor like Red Stripe or Stella Artois. I love Magner's (cider). I tried a weissbier once, and hated it.

ETA: (((hugs for your mom, turbo- I hope they figure out what's going on!)))
janeinane
Edgewater does serve food as well. But I do like Hopleaf too!
stargazer
yeah for a bustie meet-up! i can do saturdays. i don't think i can do 10/8...i might be celebrating a friend's birthday that day...but those other dates seem good.

and i'm in for hopleaf...

polly~there's this beer that a coworker had me try...when i find out the name i will let you know...it is a light tasting beer...better than stella...and i love stella...oh, and it's cheap too...how can you not love it...i will find the name..
kittenb
At this point, my October Saturdays are open, except 10/7.
pollystyrene
So 9/30's not good for you kitten? If so, 10/14 is the best date so far.
stargazer
polly~the beer is hoegaarden (pronounced "who-garden)...it is a belgium beer....with a light sweet taste....i must have a thing for the belguins...who knew... smile.gif
pollystyrene
Thanks stargzer- Hopleaf has that in a bottle. I wonder if they have like sample sizes of beers, or maybe you could do a beer flight smile.gif Sounds good, though.
turbojenn
Hmmm....10/14 is looking to be out for me - we have friends coming into town. I will also say that Hopleaf on the weekends requires long waits for a table...I'm not sure if they take reservations for large groups, but that would be a better option. Otherwise...it could be awhile.

Date-wise, I can do anytime pretty much, except 10/13-14, 10/20-23....

Dates always get tricky, so if everyone else is good on 10/14, go for it!
kittenb
Are we talking day or night? I just realized that on 9/30, 10/21 and 10/28 I am only available after 5 PM.
Sorry.
turbojenn
Evening, as the Hopleaf opens at 5pm!

pollystyrene
Did anyone have a conflict with 9/30? Maybe if we get there right at 5:00, it won't be so bad (unless they've replayed the Check, Please! recently, then we're screwed.)

I don't know how much sidecar looks in here- maybe someone should mention it to her (I don't mind doing it, in Kvetch, but who ever does it should wait till Monday, though- her grandfather died this week and I think she's got family stuff all weekend. Poor thing.) She hasn't made it to one Chicago Bustie event! Tart, is Tart around? I don't know what her availability is, though. What about princess dander- I haven't seen her in awhile, since Jane posted about her marathon (that was you, wasn't it Jane?)

Metromix says "no reservations" and the room in the back is no smoking...do we have any smokers? If not, I'd prefer the non-smoking (unless the wait is horrible) if no one minds, but if they do, it's not a huge deal. I'm sure they have a decent ventilation system.
turbojenn
They only serve the full menu in the back, as well, so if you're interested in the fine foody offerings (I know I am), then that's the place. 9/30 sounds good to me!
pollystyrene
Oh yes, give me some frites! With mayo- "they fuckin' drown 'em in that shit!" smile.gif
stargazer
let me know the date/time ladies...i don't mind waitin'. i've gotten use to it bein' here in the city. plus, some of us could get there early to get a table...i wouldn't mind doin' it. just need to know how many are in for good. could someone PM sidecar so she's not left out.

and i've heard alot about hopleaf too. i'm excited! smile.gif
janeinane
Hey folks -- 9/30 woks for me. 10/14 wkend I'll be out of town, but it seems like we've gone away from that as a possible date. It was me mentioning princess dander -- I'll be seeing her today so can mention that we're planning a meet.

pollystyrene
OK, well, we should see if we hear from tart, humanist, sidecar. Obviously, I'll talk to humanist, and I can let sidecar know in Kvetch tomorrow, to swing by here. Does someone want to contact tart?
turbojenn
I'll email tart!
humanist77
I'll sure be there!

Did anyone get to go the Renegade Craft Fair this weekend? I had to work yesterday, it's still going on until 6 pm today, but I'm on call right now for work until 4 so I can't make it sad.gif

pollystyrene
Hey turbo, are you in the 49th ward? My friends who live by the Heartland were telling me about how corrupt the alderman there is and how there's all sorts of shadiness going on, particularly on Morse Ave., so I was wondering what your take on it was.
missladyj
oh my G-d oh my G-d ha Jackass Joe MOore wht a dick ( please see my post in inebriated ramblings and cut me some slack)

but I just had a Joe MOore run in this past weekend. My girl lives in the 49th ward and we went to the rogers park world music festival and saw some cool ass african drummng and then joe moore rolls up on us and I said
" I want my foie gras"
and my girl asks him how many resturants in the 49th ward serve foie and his answer was zero.

i kinda went off on the whole foie gras. I dont want to offend the vegetarians but if you don
't want to eat foie gras then dont go to a resturant that serves it but dont tell me what I can and cannot eat. oka y okay!

so he doesn't have much to say and I end the convo with " I don't want to have to go to the suburbs to eat foie gras"

he also slept with someone I know, and all I can say is uggh!!!!
pollystyrene
Yeah, he sounds like a schmuck.

At least they're trying to overturn the foie gras thing. It's ridiculous.
turbojenn
Oh Joe Moore is a fucktard, no doubt about it. I've no idea how he continues to get elected, as I no of no one who votes for that ass.
tart
Seconding the fucktard status... thank cod Joe Moore's tackling the important issues facing our city. I, for one, am sleeping better at night knowing I won't be smothered in the middle of the night by a lobe of foie gras.

So. Hopleaf this Saturday night? What time did we decide? I am So. There. Mama needs some brewskies!
humanist77
Absolutely can't do it this weekend, and most likely not the 30th either-I'm pretty sure the next weekend is good though~
stargazer
It seems like no one mentioned Oct. 7th being bad for them. What does everyone think about that date?
pollystyrene
If 9/30's not good, then 10/7 should be okay for me. Kitten mentioned days she was only available after a certain time, but didn't say anything about 10/7...is it not good at all? Hmm, no sidecar reply yet.
sidecar
Polly, thanks for the nudge--I haven't stopped by here in awhile. I live so close to Hopleaf that when they did their expansion, they were legally required to send me notification by mail, and I have no plans until I go to Dublin, at the end of October so whatever you decide -- 9/30 or 10/7 -- I can probably make it. The only thing with Hopleaf is that it was on Check, Please! a few months back, so it's best to get there early 'cos it gets ridiculously busy anymore.

I can live with the foie gras ban, but I'm still mad at the city council for its half-assed smoking ban. Either ban smoking or don't!

Did any of you know theredhead? She used to be in Madison, but she just moved to Edgewater. I'll see if she's around, she may want to try to stop by.
turbojenn
Alderman asshat Moore update! I called his office yesterday morning because the heroin dealers are back infesting the parks where we walk our dogs on Eastlake Terrace, and they had begun a clockwork like schedule for deals, and worse, leaving dirty needles everywhere - in a park well used by children and pets. I gave him the schedule, and when I took turbo out last night at 6pm, the dealer was already passed out on the sidewalk, needles lying next to him - and the cops were there, and taking him away!

Now, the very next moment, a kid brought his 6 week old pitt puppy into the park with a giant, heavy Master lock hanging around its neck, and I questioned him about it, citing cruelty, etc, etc, imploring him to be a responsible owner and not fight his dog, and the cops wouldn't do anything about him, or take the dog from him. sad.gif I called animal cruelty when I got home, and they confirmed that it was abuse, and the cops are required to take the animal on sight...too bad they had a dealer passed out in the back of the squad car. And I bet I'll never see that poor pup again, after I questioned his owner. boo.

Either of those dates work for me for hopleaf, so someone pick one!! *tiptoes out of the thread for fear of having to make the decision*
pollystyrene
That is messed up, turbo. Sometimes I'm glad I live in the 'burbs where we don't know how corrupt our politicians are! Unfortunately, I can't say "where there are no drugs" because, duh, they're everywhere, and because one night a few years ago, my parents came home and saw police lights flashing in the alley behind our house. My dad went back there to see what was going on; we have these white trash neighbors who are always up to no good, so he thought it was something with them. Turns out someone had dumped a guy who OD'ed in front of our garage then called the cops after they drove away, but didn't give an exact address ot anything. The cops finally found the body. Not sure if he lived or not. And not to mention the poor puppy. What is wrong with people?

Anyway, on a lighter note, I think we should wait for kitten to weigh in on which date is good for her.

I forgot theredhead moved to Chicago- I had been PM'ing her right after she moved (she worked in a female-friendly sex shop in Madison, so she is an excellent resource!) but I haven't talked to her in awhile. I'll PM her now!

Anyone else we forgot. Jane, is the 7th good for you?

ETA: PM to theredhead complete.
sidecar
My alderwoman is kickass (Mary Ann Smith!), but I live next to an abandoned house. Sadly, I've gotten used to seeing people doing drugs and being up to no good next door. We're vigilant about calling the police whenever anything goes on over there, but the guy who owns it just will not tear it down or sell it or put up a fence.

On Memorial Day, my neighbor saw some guy leap over our fence and walk into our basement. She went down to ask what he was doing, and he was holding our weed wacker, and replied, "Looking for my cat." She said he was drugged out, and that when she asked why he needed the weed wacker to find his cat, he took off, and lept back over the fence, dropping the weed wacker. At the time (and honestly still a little) I thought the whole thing was hilarious, but someone did break into our building conveniently from next door, and that sucks.

Poor puppy. I wish they could've done something, turbo.
stargazer
being a lifelong chicagoan...i've learned to accept the corruption...kinda like i had to accept the amount of dysfunction in my family! smile.gif one thing about Chicagoans...we are passionate people...and our logical can be totally irrational...but we rationalize it to fit our selfish needs! biggrin.gif hence all of the little stupid laws made to accommodate the people in office and not the citizens. but, karma comes around and the reason why Thompson and other elected officials are getting caught. really stupid people.

i will take the initiative to say we should tentatively schedule our meet-up for Oct. 7th. So, everyone can schedule in that day. it seems like most people can do that day. i scrolled back through the thread to make sure. even if you can't be there at the time...it's ok to be late. i can get there at 5pm to reserve a table....if anyone else would love to join me in the wait, then i would appreciate it. let me know if i should get there earlier.
pollystyrene
I don't forsee a problem with me getting there at 5:00....I think I count 9-10 people...maybe we should say 12 to account for any extras. Hopefully they're not assholes about "your whole party has to be here to seat you." Maybe we should call ahead to make sure?

ETA: I think we could be up to 12- missladyj, were you going to come? And I PM'ed theredhead today, but haven't heard anything. If they're coming, we're up to 12, I think.
turbojenn
I can definitely do the 7th, and I can be there at 5pm too! YAY! Good beer, good food, and busties - what could be better?!
janeinane
I have a b-day party committment on Oct 7th, but it's a smidge later in the evening *and* right down the street from the Hopleaf, so I could join the early crowd if you don't mind me getting all social-butterfly-party-hopping on you.
tart
Ah, crap. I have a wedding cake to do that night. No time for drinkies...
bustygirl
Anyone near the Belleville, IL, or St. Louis area should go to the Strange Folk Festival on Saturday!

http://www.strangefolkfestival.com

I'll be there vending a booth, and...in the fashion show! Come up and say hi, and if you mention Bust, I'll give you a 10% discount on your purchase!
stargazer
that's cool jane...i allow you to be the social butterfly... smile.gif

tart...can you stop by for a little while? oh, and i meant to say your lil' tart pic is adorable!

i think we should keep it to Oct. 7th. it will be hard to accommodate everyone. but, that's just what me thinks.
tart
Eeesh, not likely, Star - it's a full-blown rolled fondant dealy, so I'll be up til all hours finishing it (provided Tartlet sleeps through the KitchenAid blink.gif ) Thanks - he looks nothing like that now. Must post new pic.

Don't reschedule on my account - just throw back a few in my honor...
missladyj
I don't think I can make it. Do a shot of something vodka-ie and chilled for me! have fun ladies
sidecar
I can be there at 5 -- you may want to call ahead, as I do know that they sometimes have trouble with large parties (we tried to go with a party of 8 once and were basically told we couldn't be accomodated). The upstairs bar is nice and roomy, though--if that's open, we should be golden.

stargazer
cool.

if everyone who plans on going can either PM me or just give a shout out...then that would be great...

i guess we will need to schedule more get togethers so we can see each other...

maybe we can do an ornament exchange at my place for the holidays...or something fall/winter festive...i have a coachhouse and an upstairs that hasn't been used for entertaining...just an idea...see what happens when i drink coffee smile.gif
pollystyrene
I'm giving the official "count me in".

Ooo, ornament exchange- great idea! I've never been to one, but I'd love to come (if you decide to have it)...how does it work?
stargazer
everyone just brings an ornanment for a certain price (usually $10 and under) and there is a little game...it is really fun...and yes, i am that corny and sentimental...it's funny to see what ornanments people bring...some people bring really cheesy ones, funny ones, or really beautiful ones...

i'm counting you in polly.
janeinane
Hopleaf has an upstairs????

Count me in for the ornament exchange, too -- sounds like fun.

Re: meeting more often, maybe we could plan an open run of every third sunday (for a random example) Bust happy hour (or coffee klatch) at some centrally located/transit accessible place, and whoever can attend each time just shows up. Whattaya think? It does run the risk of just one person showing up, but still could be workable....?
pollystyrene
Sundays are an excellent day for me (if you saw my reply in Kvetch, you know why) so I'd be all up for it. I vote for the Heartland being the standard meeting place...it's pretty centrally located for most of us, with the red line right there, plus I can stop by BGP's, who lives next door. Even if I was the only one who showed up, at least i could go see her. And maybe the third Sunday of the month seems reasonable.
stargazer
that sounds cool jane. i like that idea. heartland is a cool place. plus, it is a place where you could have meal by yourself and be ok.
pollystyrene
Absolutely; even in the bar, or just peruse the general store for awhile. Maybe if people gave a little heads up on Sunday morning if they had an idea if they'd make it. I think if 2 or 3 o'clock was the starting time, that would be good, that way you're coming between lunch and dinner and not in the middle of a rush.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.