Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Midwestern Mamas!
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Friends and Family
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
janeinane
Hi ladeez -- checking in after being self-absorbed in a move. (I boughted a condo!) Anyhoo, sorry I've missed various Bustie events, but was too caught up in the packing/moving/unpacking/etc. to look past my nose.

Seems like everyone's doing well. Someday this place will be box free and I'll have you all over! If someone will cater in a tater tot pizza *swoon*...
stargazer
JAAAAAAAAAAANE!

congrats on the hizzie. can't wait to see you when you are available. smile.gif
janeinane
Dang, that was fast! Star, you are the cutiest! smile.gif
pollystyrene
Hooray for the condo, jane! I'll spring for a tator tot pizza!
go_kayte
Hi everyone!
I'd love to try and come to the fireside on the 25th, sounds like fun.
I'm not sure if that's when my "purge party" is going to end up being but it might be then (that's where all my friends come over and we pick through my stuff to simplify and get things to donate and they take stuff too so I can move into a smaller place). It was one date I thought of. But I will let you all know sometime next week probably! Hope I can make it.

Now where is the fireside?
pollystyrene
The Fireside

Hope you can make it!
i_am_jan
I'm in Ohio. One time when there's a more elaborate/day event, I want to hop the bus and join you all. i have bussed to Chicago before and love traveling solo, it'd be hot to join a bustie meetup. Esp. now that most buses have bike racks on them? I could travel in style once I get there.

Also, I recently heard that Milwaukee is an awesome town? someone gave it a rave review, citing lots of great local music, and fact that it's within biking distance of Chig. When I get some time, I'd love to coordinate myself into a weekend trip where I can hit both cities.

~~tater tot pizza? OMG!!!!!! I better order a large all for me
stargazer
i_am_jan, it would be great for you to come to a bustie meetup! um, not so sure if milwaukee is THAT close to bike to from chicago. unless, you are some tour de france cyclist. then again, i could just be terribly lazy and the thought of biking to Milwaukee sounds exhausting.

since we have not set a time for our meetup this weekend, i'm thinking we could meet at 11am on Saturday, Oct. 25th at Fireside. Should we make a reservation?

ETA: I was just looking at their menu and the apple walnut french toast sounds like a potential front runner to be ordered for brunch w/a bloody mary of course.
sidecar
i_am_jan, Milwaukee's about 90 miles from Chicago. It might be easier to take the Amtrak, which is $30 round trip and super nice. I think you can take your bike on it. But yeah, let us know when you come visit!

11 a.m. Saturday would be perfect! Should we do a headcount and make a reservation?
avaadore
I am definitely coming, and I was wondering if my roommate could come? She's still pretty new to the city and I think it would be good for her to get out and meet some new people. Especially people as awesome as y'all!

Also, if y'all are interested, here's some photos of my most recent school stuff.: http://picasaweb.google.com/pirate.jane/LastQuarter#
pollystyrene
11 sounds good to me. Count me in!

ava, I'm drooling over here!
kittenb
Have fun ladies. I'll be in class wishing I was at the Fireside.
stargazer
Made reservations for 11am under my first name. See ya there!

ETA: Or, just look for some a table full of women with thick framed glasses. Heh. It is the Bustie accessory.
sidecar
I may not wear my thick-framed glasses today, but I totes have a pair!
stargazer
I was in a good mood with a full belly all day. That's the sign that I got my Chicago Bustie fix. smile.gif
turbojenn
Same here! It was so great to see you all, and so fabulous that ava could finally join us!

...Of course, I followed up that huge lunch by spending the day puttering in the kitchen all day, munching as I went...I think I'll probably be full until monday! tongue.gif

Polly, you are so uber-talented with your sock-monkey sewing skillz!! I've never seen such a lovely, intricate monkey!
go_kayte
I'm sad I couldn't make it. Sounds like it was a good time. Hopefully I'll be all moved and settled by the next meetup so I can make it!
pollystyrene
Aww, thanks turbo!

It was great to see everyone again. Now we just need to plan our Christmahanukwanzaakah Festivus party. Hopefully I'll actually be able to make it this year. I think I'll start taking colostrum now so I don't get sick between Thanksgiving and Christmas like I usually do. Blech!

Speaking of the signature Bustie glasses, can anyone recommend a place to get new glasses, at least the frames? It's time for me to do so.
stargazer
i posted a pic...well, a link anyway...of the sockmonkey polly gave me for those interested of her skills in the kvetch thread.

i figured something came up with your apartment kayte. don't worry. there are always other gatherings to come to.

ohhhhhh, glasses. well, i like different glasses and went to eyespy optical on lincoln ave. in chicago. they are pricey cause most of their glasses are imported from other countries. it might not be a bad place to visit to get a sense of the type of glasses you want.
pollystyrene
So, does anyone want to think about Festivus? Anything to look forward to until we know Barack has won.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say 12/6 or 12/13 will work for me. 12/20 is probably out.

Do we want to do the ornament exchange again? $10 limit?
stargazer
oh polly, i was wondering about festivus right after our last outing too! those dates sound good to me. early planning might help us that have to be strategic with holiday planning with work and family parties.
avaadore
I'm almost postive 12/6 will work for me, but 12/13 is my birthday and I don't know what I'll be doing yet for sure, especially since I will be days away from being a culinary school graduate. Wooooo!
prophecy_grrl
both 12/6 and 12/13 will work, but definitely not the 20th. I happy to finally make it to a Bustie holiday gathering - not traveling this year!
stargazer
so far, 12/6 is sounding good for us. where will we have the festivus celebration? but, most importantly, what are we eating? heh. for some reason, i want to bring a tres leche cake. that could be holiday like, right?
kittenb
12/6 works for me in the day time.
pollystyrene
Sure, star, as long as one of those leches is egg nog! tongue.gif
turbojenn
12/6 and 12/13 work for me! I'm certainly willing to host again, since I'm the troublemaker with the cat allergies, and y'all are kittified. smile.gif Or, if you want to go out somewhere, that's cool too - whatever you guys feel like, is cool by me...

stargazer
i'm all for your pad turbo. i think we should plan on having the shindig on 12/6. kitten, what time is early for you that day?

polly, i will look into the different flavas for the tres leche cake. wink.gif
turbojenn
*passes champagne around the lounge*

Can you believe it, ladies?! OUR Obama now belongs to the world. Wow. Now can we kick shrub out tomorrow, and get on with it?!
humanist77
*sips champagne*
hey, he's still Illinois' for 2.5 more months! But no, I think we are all happy to share : P
kittenb
Early to mid afternoon, I think. It is the boy's work holiday party that night.
stargazer
Is 1pm or 2pm good then, kitten?
humanist77
I think I deserve to take a saturday off work. I'll be there.
pollystyrene
So, I think I found the place for the next Bustie brunch, lunch or dinner: Glenn's Diner

We went there tonight with a bunch of foodies and it's awesome. It's sort of an upscale diner (without being gimmicky like a Lettuce Entertain You-type place) and they specialize in fish. Dinner prices are a little expensive, but not unreasonable (in the $16-$22 range) and breakfast is in the $8-$12 range for the specials, cheaper for standard pancakes/eggs, mostly (crab cakes benedict were $14, I think)

We had a whole day of food in Chinatown, Pilsen, Little Vietnam and finished up at Glenn's. I think I had my recommended calorie intake for the week.
stargazer
so, i think i am lame, but i think i found what i'm going to make for the bustie festivus get together. smile.gif
kittenb
1 or 2 would be great for me.
stargazer
so, we are getting together this saturday. i spoke with kitten yesterday. it seemed like 1pm would be a good time for us on saturday. turbojenn, does that time work for you?

i got 3 words for what i'm making: pecan pie truffles. biggrin.gif
pollystyrene
mmmmm. I might go a more savory route. Have to check my recipes!
turbojenn
Saturday's still good for me, and 1pm sounds good!! No idea what I'm making...plenty of time to figure that out, though.

Oh, also...as per usual at chez turbo, there will be a decent array of giveaways, as I've been cleaning house a bit - I've got a decent 3 CD changer w/tape boom box with detachable speakers (we're all ipodded out here now), a couple desk lamps, and maybe one of my sets of ipod speakers - they sound great, but I've nowhere to put them now. Oh - one other thing....if anyone is interested in making their own bath products (a la LUSH) - lotion bars, bath bombs, bubble bars...I've got a giant box of the fixins, and scents too....and its just taking up space in my closets. If you think its something you'd use - perhaps even making holiday gifties - let me know if you're interested.

pollystyrene
I'm going to call dibs on those speakers, but I'll look at them on Saturday. Are those BPAL scents, turbo?
turbojenn
Nope, there are a few essential oils, and a bunch of oil blends of various kinds. You got the dibs on the speakers...they're JBLs, I think - their "Alien" series that look like Pac-Man ghosts, sort of.
avaadore
*Raises Hand* I want to make stuff! happy.gif

turbojenn
Excellent, Ava! Its not too hard, and I think your pastry skillz are a perfect match...do you have a scale at home - that's the only tricky bit - you need to measure weight for some of the stuff.
humanist77
shit. I totally forgot to take myself off the schedule for Saturday, and I'm already taking Sunday off for a class. I'll see what I can do though-maybe if I don't have any appointments yet, it'll be okay because there's usually enough people there on Saturdays. *crossing fingers*
stargazer
you better get on that humanist.

hey, are we doing an ornament or craptacular gift exchange? we don't have to considering how the economy is. i have an ornament already just in case. i got holiday backup. wink.gif

oh, free stuff at turbo's place. awesome.
pollystyrene
I'm okay with an ornament exchange. I think we've had a $10 limit in the past?
stargazer
word.
avaadore
I have three scales. (What can I say, I'm a total nerd rolleyes.gif )

I'm down with an ornament exchange.
prophecy_grrl
I'm down for the ornament exchange. I am definitely bringing something savory, just haven't decided what yet. Maybe a festive (homemade) cheese log, a warm dip-type thing, or something involving smoked salmon.

I have another party to attend in the evening and I'm making humanist's famous oreo balls - made with candy cane joe joe's and covered in white chocolate.

Looking forward to it!
kittenb
Tell me ladies, what should I bring? Another dessert or something more meal like?

I would love to do an ornament exchange but I have to see if I can get to a store by Saturday.

Turbo, I'll take your CD player if no one else wants them. As long as the speakers work I am not picky. My CD/radio broke when the cat knocked a glass of water on it and I have not been able to replace it yet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.