Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Midwestern Mamas!
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Friends and Family
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
stargazer
aw, thanks for the dates polly!
stargazer
did anyone else hear that daley is discontinuing the blue bag cycling program? i was bummed about this yesterday. sad.gif
tart
I heard something about it, Star, but haven't read any details yet. Considering the prevailing (& very cynical) theory that no one actually sorts out the blue bags & they all just go in the landfill with everything else, I don't know that it's a huge loss. I don't get how the 3rd largest city in the country can't come up with a workable recycling program, though. If my podunk redneck hometown can do it, with an 85% compliance rate, then WTF Chicago?
janeinane
The thing that really chaps me is that neither the old plan nor whatever it is they'll replace it with (separate bins, I think) apply to people in multi-unit apts. -- apparently the city isn't responsible to pick up their trash, & the bldgs. go with private companies. WFT, where do they think vast majorities of people in A Major City are going to live? As a car-free apt. dweller, what am I supposed to do to be an ecologically good citizen? Do renters not care about recyling according to them? Grrrr.

*step away from the soapbox*
stargazer
i still try to have faith that the blue bag thing is working. even though, i know it is not. yesterday, as i was separating recycling stuff...i was wondering where i was gonna put all of my stuff to be recycled. do i send it to me folks who just live right over the border in Indiana? and why in the hell does hammond, indiana have such a great recycling program that it was feature awhile back in the utne reader? how in the hell does chicago not have a good recycling program? how will i carry stuff to those bins if i do not have a car? we'll see what happens i guess....
sidecar
I missed this entirely. Curse you, Chicago Sun Times, and your decision to cover the weight loss drama of two fat cats instead!* Seriously, though, that's stupid. Something that's always bothered me is that the city wants you to use only city blue bags. I've heard that you can put stuff in unofficial blue-colored bags and the city won't actually take it where it belongs.

*Actual story in yesterday's paper, although this wasn't in today's paper or yesterday's.
pollystyrene
I finally went to Hot Doug's today! Woohoo! I had the gyros sausage (sausage made with gyros meat, with tzatziki, feta and kalamata olives on top- soooo good!) and a regular hot dog, plus the duck fat fries, of course. At first, they just taste like really good fries, but when you actually taste one of their regular fries, and can compare the two, the duck fat fries have a much richer taste than the regular ones (which are still good, just not as good as the duck fat ones.) It was so yummy. Then we went to Sweet Occasions in Andersonville (the one we went to after the Hopleaf outing) and I had ice cream. I didn't eat anything else the rest of the day- still not really hungry!
rocketslide
A fellow Chicago gal checking in. I'm in Logan Square, after many years on the South Side. I'm still a Sox fan, because I wouldn't want to bring shame to my family by rooting for the Cubs. Nice to virtually meet you all!
turbojenn
welcome rocket! You'll have to join us for a gathering one of these days! No worries on baseball partisanship...I can't get myself interested in any Chicago team...too many years spent in Michigan, I guess.

WOOT for polly! So glad you enjoyed the Hot Dougs! That gyro sausage sounds delish! Turbomann and I definitely need to make it back there soon.
stargazer
Welcome Rocketslide! I'm a fellow Southsider living in Lakeview myself. You must come to a Bustie get together.

Hot Dogs. Hmmm. Sounds good.

I know it is still alittle over a month away. But, PM me if you are interested in coming to the Festivus/Ornanment Exchange get together Dec. 9th. I will send out details to you this week.
prophecy_grrl
I've meant to stop by this thread for a while . . . been living in Chicago for about 3 months now. I’m originally from the ‘burbs, but have been living in college towns for about 8 years. Still adjusting to city life after too long in central Illinois, but enjoying it so far.

Case in point – went out to vote last night with prophecy_guy and heard mention that the Heartland was giving free beer to those who showed up with their poll receipt. Whoohoo! We headed over and the chalkboard outside confirmed: “The Heartland’s Midterm Midtacular: Bring your poll receipt and witness regime change.” We had a lovely dinner and several beers at the Buffalo Bar.

Also ran into a guy outside the polling place collecting signatures for Joe Moore to get on the ballot in March. When I (politely) declined adding my signature, prophecy_guy was all “damn, that’s harsh; this is a democracy, doesn’t he at least deserve to be on the ballot?” . . . um, no!
pollystyrene
Ha, what kind of idiot stands outside the Heartland to collect signatures for Joe Moore?

Pardon my suburban naiveté, but is there a question of whether or not Moore will be on the ballot in March, or is this just a political formality? *crosses fingers for Joe Moore's uncertain political future*

Damn, I wish I'd have known about the free beer deal- I totally could have gone for that last night! smile.gif
turbojenn
Yeah, I'd heard about the free beer deal, but I had a sick turbomann at home, so there was no going out last night. boo.

I believe Moore has to collect signatures just like everyone else to get on the ballot, but there seems little question of whether he'll get enough - there are too many mindless sheep that'll sign anything and always vote for the incumbent. I declined signing the petition the other day, when there was a guy at the el stop.

Welcome to the city prophecy! Are you in Rogers Park, or somewhere near by? I wish Michael Harrington would run again, I really liked him...I don't much care for the other candidates for the 49th that I've heard speak so far.
missladyj
Hey prophecy grrl,
what burb are you from? I grew up in Niles and have lived in the city for 10 yrs. Also did my time in east central illinios at the P.U. Of I I called it that because it smelled like cow shit. the right breeze from south farms was always killer.
rocketslide
Thanks for the welcome ladies! For the 2004 election, I voted in Bridgeport. That was an experience. For those who don't know, Bridgeport is where da Mayor grew up, and it's sort of the cradle of the Democratic Machine politics. Electioneering laws state that pollsters have to be 100 feet away from the polling place, but they were quite a bit closer, as in leaning up against the doors. My friends & I joked that since da Mayor wasn't running, we only got to vote twice. Heh.
prophecy_grrl
Yep, I'm in Rogers Park, pretty much next door to the Heartland.

misslj - I grew up in Des Plaines (City of Destiny), spent 6 years in DeKalb and another 3 in Champaign-Urbana. When the wind is right, both places stink of cow shit.
turbojenn
Oh, what a great location! I think I'd gain a lot of weight living next to Heartland, though!! I think I go there nearly weekly as it is! Good beer and comfort food....YUMmmmm!

stargazer
hello prophecy_grrl!

i've been thinking about moving a little further north. But, I'm so well centrally located. Seriously. Those of you who come over in December will see how awesome of a location I have going on.

About the elections...I had to laugh at all of the hubbub about the electronic voting. Indiana has been doing it for quite awhile. And Indiana is ass backwards. I lived there for a couple of years. Why did it take Chicago this long? Weird.

I hope some of the newbies can make it in December!
kittenb
cool.gif Cross posted in Midwestern Mamas:

Everyone who is interested is invited to come to Pressure Billiards and Cafe on January 1, 2007 for Stitchfest 2. About one a half years ago, my friend organized the first Stitchfest to raise awarness for the Chicago Rape Crisis Hotline. There is still one thing that needs to be finished from this event. We started a blanket for the Hotline staff and volunteers and it is still unfinished. So from noon until midnight, we will be making blanket squares (about 4"x4") and making them all into a blanket. Show your support for the Chicago Rape Crisis Hotline by picking up your crochet hooks and your knitting needles and making some squares! If you have "donateable" crochet hooks or knitting needles, or any other accessory, let us know. We will try to get them back to their owners, but can't promise anything.

The event will be at Pressure Billiards and Cafe at 6318 North Clark Street in Chicago. However, if you want to participate but cannot get there, you are more than welcome to send blanket peices. We don't really care what they look like, as long as they are made with love.

TELL YOUR FRIENDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am going to set up a MySpace page for this as soon as MySpace lets me. It's giving me all kinds of problems at the moment.
humanist77
That might be a tough one, kitten. You know I'm first in line for this event (I've been asking when it's gonna happen nearly everytime I talk to you tongue.gif ), but New Year's Day at noon? I know it's all about charity..but I never know even where I'll be on New Year's day, not necessarily because I'll be hungover, but at least certainly because I'll have been up all night, and possibly hungover. Was there a reason why it was scheduled for the 1st? I really want to participate again this year, but will there really be a lot of people okay with that date? I feel selfish for bringing it up, but it struck me as a bit odd.
pollystyrene
So, is anyone going to make it to The Heartland on Sunday?
tart
I'll be there, Polly - camping out all day, as I'm meeting friends there for brunch in the morning biggrin.gif What time is everyone else arriving?
pollystyrene
I think they met at 2-ish last month; I'd be willing to come earlier or later if you're going to be there for another engagement before that, though.
tart
That works for me - I might have time in beween to get hungry again smile.gif
pollystyrene
So 2-ish is good? Will Tartlet be joining us?

Anyone else?
turbojenn
I'm gonna pass this time, lest I pass my wretched cold onto anyone else. Have fun!!! Give tartlet a squeeze for me!
tart
Aw, poor sick Turbo! Glad you're feling better, hon... Tartlet was Senor Crankypants by that point in the day, so Tartman swooped in & gave me a few hours to hang wit ma laydeeez. There was a pretty involved hoopla over in the other half of the dining room - a gaggle of rowdy butches, taking turns standing up & getting rounds of applause & whatnot. We couldn't for the life of us figure out what they were on about... I wasn't much of a conversationalist (stupid baby brain), but I think we had a good time.

Hey, Stargazer, question about the ornament exchange: handmade or storebought, or either?
pollystyrene
We had a great time, Tart- just because we weren't as boisterous as that group on the other side- I don't know what was going on over there! I said it in the mom thread, and I'll say it here, again- Tartlet is even cuter in real life! Of course, we only saw him cranky for a minute. Then he was a flirt!
janeinane
Hey everyone -- sorry I missed Sunday, I was co-hosting a surprise party. But every time I tried to come to the Lounge to check in the site was down! Was it just me??

Anyway, still planning to go to the ornament exchange. Looking forward to seeing you all again soon.
stargazer
yeah, i was freaked out about the Lounge being down. i was thinking, "how am i gonna contact everyone?" thank gawd for myspace, i was adding all of the midwestern mamas i knew on there.

hooray for the lounge being back up!
pollystyrene
Hi all! I was thinking maybe we should post what we were planning on bringing to Stargazer's on the 9th (less than 2 weeks!)- it might make it easier for people who haven't decided what they're bringing. I'm making Chocolate Peppermint Cookie Bars.
turbojenn
Good idea polly! I'm sure I'll bring my green goddess hummus and veggies...nothing too fancy, but its safe for me to eat, and easy to bring along!
stargazer
i was just thinking about what i should make.

what does everyone want to drink? soda pop, wine, beer...let me know. i can do the beverages.
puppykitty
Aww man! I'm gonna miss it! I'm not going to be in Chicago until the 16th. Phooey.
janeinane
Hi puppykitty!!! Sorry that we'll miss you on the 9th! Maybe another gathering can be arranged....

Stargazer, what time of day are we thinking of gathering on th 9th?

Thanks -- !
stargazer
Hi puppykitty! We'll miss you by a week. Is another Heartland get together planned for that Sunday though?

I sent PMs to some Busties I haven't heard from to give the 411.

Oh, and make sure to wrap your ornament so we can't tell what you got.

The get together is for 6pm.
pollystyrene
I think the Heartland gathering is basically still on- it's always just a "what you make of it" event- if 2 people show up, that's the gathering, if 20 people show up, that's the gathering. So far, I have no reason not to be there, but we all know how it goes as you get closer to the holidays! So hopefully, I'll see you, pk! BTW, loved the "food baby" phrase in the okayer's thread the other day. I used it later that night after eating massive amounts of Chinese food- it totally grossed out my boyfriend, and as a fellow grossie, you understand how much pleasure I took in that!
kittenb
Humanist - Stitichfest was planned for January 1st for a couple of reasons. First b/c it worked with the schedules of the two of us who are plannind the event and the location (Pressure Billiards and Cafe. Second because we joked about it being "alternative programming" from football. And the finall reason was that it just seemed like a nice way to start off the year, creating something and seeing our friends.

I have no idea if people are going to be available that day. I really hope they are.

I set up a MySpace page for this event. You can find it here!
humanist77
Thanks for your response, kitten-I understand those reasons. I really hope I can join you gals : )
stargazer
Chicago area Busties,

With the holidays upon us and the Festivus/Ornament Exchange this Saturday, I'm getting all sentimental. Two years ago, I made alot of changes in my life. One of those decisions was to meet some similar minded women in the area. I'm so glad I made the decision to meet up with all of you. I'm still going through alot of transitions right now.

Our get together will be my first "social" gathering in about 2 months. If you haven't read in the kvetch thread, I've been dealing with alot of depression and anxiety (esp. panic attacks). I'm so excited to have everyone coming to my home. The place looks warm and cozy with all of the christmas lights.

I just wanted to say a big "Thank You" and "Happy Holidays" to the Midwestern Mamas! All of you are awesome! PM me if you still need info on getting to my place. I tried to PM those I knew were attending this Saturday.

Consider this a big Christmas card to all of you!
janeinane
Hi SG! What a thoughtful post -- I'm really looking forward to the ornament exchange! I'll bring, um, ... probably what I alway bring, goodies from the Middle Eastern bakery (kalamata olives) and cheese/crackers. If people like wasabi peas, I can get some of those, too.
princess_dander
Oh I love Festivus! I can bring the Pole, but I'd much rather bake cupcakes which many don't know is a Festivus staple.

I agree with the most fab Janeinane, it is a thoughful post and I look forward to it!

(((((((((Stargazer)))))))))
pollystyrene
(((stargazer))) Glad you're looking forward to this Saturday and I'm glad it's an opportunity to turn over a new leaf for you. I know how anxious I get about people coming over, even close friends, but once everyone's there and I can take a deep breath- phew! It's definitely worth it.

And I totally understand the Christmas warm & cozy thing- last year was my first Christmas on my own. We never really did a real Christmas tree (I don't mean that in the biological sense- I mean we never really had a tree) when we were growing up; partly because I come from a mixed-religion family and Christmas was pretty understated for us- we did Santa and presents (along with a menorah and presents), but also because we would always travel to Missouri to see my mom's family during Christmas, so we weren't home to enjoy a tree. Some years my mom would bring a little 2 foot tree and some lights and we'd put it in the hotel room, but that was about it. So last year, I got to do a real tree and lights and ornaments and stockings. I didn't take the tree down until almost St. Patrick's Day because it made the room so happy. And you know how dreary Chicago is until about mid-April. Ugh.

Mmm, kalamata olives, jane....I'm an olive fiend.

ETA: Princess- thank goodness none of us know each other well enough to do the Airing of Grievances. Did you see my link to the Festivus site in the Bizarro Websites thread? tongue.gif
kittenb
What time is the get-together on Saturday?
stargazer
thanks everyone!

the get together is at 6pm.
humanist77
Hmm..have't quite decided what to bring-it might be a surprise, but I'll make sure not to repeat what anyone else has mentioned!
tart
I'm undecided, too, Humanist - count on it being some kind of sweet, desserty, non-chocolate mint thing, though...

Are we at least going to have the Feats of Strength?
kittenb
I think I am bringing rice and beans. I do not think this a purely vegitarian dish, FYI.

Stargazer, please send me your address. Thanks!
stargazer
Feats of strength? Oh yeah. Well, we could always thumb wrestle.

kittenb, consider it done!
tart
Hey, Stargazer, thanks again for hosting such a lovely evening - I'm sorry I had to skip out so early... as it turns out, Tartlet went down like clockwork, so I could have hung out for a few more hours... ah well. Polly, your peppermint brownies were a big hit back home, too...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.