Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Midwestern Mamas!
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Friends and Family
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
missthing
Yikes, sorry to hear that, ((((voodoo)))).
voodoo_princess
thank you thank you thank you everyone for your kind thoughts.....
amywoman
Oh, wow, voodoo. I'm really sorry. :-(

(((voodoo_princess)))
humanist77
(((voodoo princess))) Assholes like that don't deserve you or any one of us.

I'm looking for a referral to a good (talk) therapist or psychiatrist. If someone can help me, you can PM me about it. I've had many therapists over the last 10 years that were mostly grad students working at sliding scale offices. A few of them I connected well with and they helped me, but they eventually had to leave when they graduated. I need someone who is established but not *too* expensive, and obviously is a smart and caring person who takes their work seriously. I'd like to find an older therapist who's had a lot of experience, but who isn't alienated from the younger generation. But if they are young that's okay as long as they really are knowledgeable and they take their work seriously.

It seemed like the ones who I didn't like were those people who chose the profession because it seemed easy and interesting, but they don't really care about helping anyone-sometimes they are more fucked up than their patients.

After going through so many, I don't want to take any chances with a non-referral. It wastes time and money and it only discourages me from doing something that is already hard enough to do.

If any of you see or know of a really great, relatively inexpensive therapist who you can recommend, I'd really appreciate a referral. I'm open to anyone in the N/NW side of Chicago, or anywhere that is easily accessible by train or bus, or in the surrounding suburbs. Thanks for any information!

Also, I'm interested in volunteering at an animal shelter with cats. I'd rather it be a no-kill shelter, but I know that the cats at other shelters need love just as much. I've looked around online and found some decent looking ones, but if anyone has any really good recommendations, that would awesome. Thanks again!
voodoo_princess
Hey everyone!
I haven't been able to get onto BUST for a coupe of days due to some PC glitch or something but I just wanted to give a brief update....
The Mr. is going to move out at the end of the summer when the kids go back to school and I start working.... I'm having his child support raised to be more in line with his income and he's got to take over payments of our new vehicle and fix up my old car so it runs good for me. He has tried to blame everything on me (of course, cause men DO NO WRONG) BUT all of you would be proud of my super duper detective work and let's just say that I have some very very very damning evidence of infidelity that a "loudly self proclaimed HETEROSEXUAL male" might not want shown to his friends, family and co workers (get my drift?)..... which is what I am prepared to do in the event he decides to try and screw me over with bills and stuff for the kids..... I promised him I would make more copies of all the stuff and pics I have dug up and paste them all over the front windows of his work and mail copies to all friends and family members!
So, without going into too much detail, that's my update in a "nut"shell.... ha ha ha "nut" shell..... how fitting the situation! ha ha ha....
Thanks for everyones thoughts!!!!!! LOVE YOU ALL!!!
yummymum
(((Voodoo))) wow, reading that first post was like an instant replay of my life. Except for my husband was into the female variety. I have some very serious advice for you. I wont get into it here. But if you want to/need to chat, please feel free to PM me. Hang in there. You will survive!
missthing
humanist77 - My therapist totally rocks. I think the cost is about average to reasonable. The office isn't terribly far from public trans in the Lincoln Square-ish area. I'll PM you.

I've been thinking of volunteering at kittycat shelter, too, to get out of the damn house (I work at home). I'm afraid I'll want to take them aaaaaalllllll home, though! ;o)
humanist77
thank you missthing!

I know I'll also want to take all of them home with me too. I love my cats, but I love cats that aren't mine even more sometimes!

I'm afraid that if I go to a shelter that practices euthanasia, it'll be too depressing when kitties are put to sleep that I've gotten attatched to-or any of the cats, really. Maybe some day when I'm strong enough to handle that I'll go to those other shelters...
turbojenn
humanist - check out The Treehouse Animal Shelter - its a cage free no-kill cat shelter - very cool place. Many of my friends have adopted from them, and I bet they need volunteers!

((((voodoo)))) I'm so sorry this is all happening. I send you vibes for the best possible outcome in this difficult situation...
kittenb
{{{{{voodooprincess}}}}}
raskel
I work in cats at an animal shelter, and I, too, was worried about wanting to take them all home. But honestly, seeing them all there is enough, and helping to find them homes is way better. I have only taken 2 cats home in over a year (so we have 3). Good luck finding a place to volunteer. Sorry I can't help; I'm in Michigan.
amywoman
I know someone who works at Treehouse, and I can ask if they need volunteers, if you like.

There is also Harmony House, which is also no-kill. Those are the two big ones around here.
sidecar
hey, is that fundraiser thing still on? Because I go to T's a lot.

*waves* haven't had a whole lotta bust time lately. How is everyone?
turbojenn
hey sidecar - I was planning on stopping by the fundraiser - what time are you going. I think It was something like 1-8pm or something...
stargazer75
how did things go for the fundraiser? sorry i couldn't make it.
kittenb
If anyone is in the Chicago Lakeview area tonight, I will be speaking about Sexual Assault and Acquaintence Rape at 3252 Borth Broadway at 7 PM to 8:30. Should be interesting!
stargazer75
hey humanist...i saw you on metromix lady! they were doing a segment on your spa...i remember telling my roommate, "i know her!" and pointing at the screen...yeah, i'm lame...

congrats!
humanist77
aww I never did get to see that. On CLTV, right? We did the filming for it several months ago-it's good to know that they are still showing it. Thanks stargazer!
erinjane
So i'm going on a weeklong trip to chicago, leaving on sunday. Any ideas of some fun stuff to do?
missladyj
There is a komodo dragon at the shedd aquarium that I have heard gets fed wednesdays at 1pm

If you feel like shakin yer ass my husband deejays at the note 1656 N Milwakee Ave on thursdays around 1am.

enjoy your stay chicago rocks!
humanist77
Erin, I would check www.metromix.com for events happening during the week. Also, definitely take advantage of the 8,000+ restaurants in the city. We also seem to have a neighborhood for every sort of culture and lifestyle, so if there's anything you're really interested in-art, ethnic food, hipsters, gay culture, fashion, music, and of course massive amounts of tourist attractions~whatever-just mention it and we can probably give you an intersection!

Maybe we can all try do a last minute meetup-whoever can make it, if you do have time for it?
angelle321
I forgot to check in here before I went to Chicago! I was there from Jun 30 to Jul 6. I did have my first ever in person bustie meeting (the loverly remorra) and it was fabulous. Next time I'll make sure to check who can meet up. My boyfriend's parents live there so we make it pretty often.
erinjane
Looks like we might not be able to make it down to Chicago because my grandma isn't doing so hot and we dont' want to be more then a day's drive from Winnipeg.

So anyways, I'm in Minneapolis instead...any suggestions on fun, hip places to go? I wouldn't mind getting some new clothes and shoes and things like that.
turbojenn
bummer erin....the okayers thread in Media Whores is full of twin cities busties, so pop on in there, and ask for help! I know the Mall of America is there for all of your retail needs...beyond that, I dunno.
pollystyrene
My dad is quite a foodie and does a lot of business in the twin cities, so he knows lots of good restaurants- is there a specific neighborhood(s) you'll be in? I can find out some good places to eat if you want.

BTW, turbo, I mostly hang out in the kvetch thread, but I've been lurking in the okayers thread, and you've got some good conversations there- is therr room for a kvetcher to drop in? biggrin.gif

turbojenn
polly - we'd love to have you in okayland! We're an open conversation for all willing to contribute!

I, myself, started here as a kvetcher, and the lovely lurvpaint lured me over to okayland in a cross-thread water balloon and food fight late one night...and there I seem to have stayed. c'mon over!
erinjane
Haha, I'm here with my parents and they're so indecisive. Now it looks like we may again be going all the way down to Chicago in a couple of days.

As for areas we're in, really we're all over. We're staying in one of the suburbs so no matter where we go we have to drive for a while. Tomorrow we're going to the Science museum in st. paul to see the Body World's exhibit.

So no where specific for neighbourhoods, but I'm particularly fond of ethnic foods (thai, ethiopian) and vegetarian restaurants. We went to Chili's tonight (blech) and the only veggie thing they had on the menu was soup and salad.

I will definatly pop in media whores, thanks.
pollystyrene
ok, I'll PM you with some ideas!
missladyj
Poly- I luv the superdog avatar! ( It is called an avatar is it not?)

Anyway busties I just wanted to let you know about an upcoming show that my husband is hosting at the Note 1565 N Milwakee Ave this Thursday August 17th. It is an acoustic jam with all sorts of singer songwriter types performing. Doors open at 9pm show starts at 10pm. I'll be all the way at the end of the bar. Make sure to say hi!

pollystyrene
Thanks! I've always heard them called avatars.

Glad you posted- I don't know if you saw my post in the "What I Ate" thread, but I was wondering where you got "the best lox [you've] ever eaten?" I am a lox-aholic.

missladyj
there is this tiny hole in the wall deli/resturant in Oak Park called the onion roll on North Avenue

not only is the lox amazing but the smoked whitefish and hard salami rule too!
pollystyrene
Hmm, I have some friends in Oak Park- I'll have to try it...never got into the smoked whitefish, (more of a pickled herring girl, myself) but kosher salami is soooo good! Thanks!
missladyj
it really is excellent. We live in Austin and I had been meaning to check this place out for a while now since I always pass it on the way to work. Hubby and I went in for breakfast one morning and were blown away. Let me know if you get a chance to check it out.
humanist77
Just wanted to let fans of Massive Attack know, that they are playing in Chicago at the Vic on September 13th. Tickets are ridiculously expensive ($45, including TM charge) but they don't do many tours and I think it's totally worth it, especially at such a small venue. I'll be there : )
surly
we're going to be abck in chicago from the 7th to the 11th of september, will anybody be at the touch and go anniversary weekend at the hideout then? there are going to be a lot of good bands playing.

also i will probably be camping out at hot dougs and a variety of brunch places. i never thought i would be the type of person who missed brunch, but i am and i have reconciled myself to it
pollystyrene
Maybe we could plan a Chicago Busties outing around your trip Surly, perhaps a brunch thing? We've already done Heartland Cafe (I'd go back there for brunch anyway, but maybe other people want to do something else?) I'm interested in trying Victory's Banner in Roscoe Village, and I've been to Kitsch'n, also in R.V....also, I want to try M. Henry for those Bliss Cakes! I hear Wishbone also has a great brunch.

Victory's Banner: http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/search/...0,1146511.venue

M. Henry: http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/search/...0,2129557.venue

Wishbone: http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/search/...0,7966850.venue

Kitsch'n: http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/search/...0,1080975.venue
turbojenn
I would go for any of those options...as well as a hot doug's run!!
pollystyrene
Oh yeah, that too; I just figured it wouldn't have the veggie options for some people. But I could go for a Saturday afternoon duck fat fry run!!
turbojenn
oh, doug has some mighty tasty veggie dogs - not to worry! I know tart has enjoyed them...me, I go for a good polish with kraut...mmmmm.....
pollystyrene
Good to know! I'd be up for that!
surly
that is very sweet but i don't know if i can commit to a proper outing, we have such a limited timeand already loads and loads of plans that it might not be possible, sorry to be a pooper
missladyj
I have been dying to try those duck fat fries!!! I am also happy to hear that the foie gras ban will not be really enforce. I love duck fat, duck liver etc. lay it on me!! I gave up my vegetarian ways along time ago.
pollystyrene
Sorry we probably won't be able to get together Surly! I hope you enjoy your trip back here, though.

Do the rest of us want to plan a trip to Hot Doug's anyway? I know a few people have said they've been meaning to go there....
olhakadirf
where is Hot Doug's?
turbojenn
Hot Dougs Encased Meat Emporium! Its on California...and SO delicious!
olhakadirf
their specials sound really good *tummy growls*
stargazer
just thought i would say hello...we should plan a get together in the near future...i miss you ladies...i hope everyone is well. i haven't been in the lounge 'cause i had problems logging on...hope all is well with everyone...
janeinane
Hey Chicagoans, I need advice -- does anyone know a good jewelry artist? My sis is looking for unique, custom wedding rings -- something with a funky style rather than the traditional rock. Thanks!!
surly
jane my friend dana does custom work, she designed my wedding bands and has designed rings for a lot of others as well. i will pm you her email address
pollystyrene
It *is* time for a Chicago bustie get-together! It was pre-Tartlet the last time we saw each other!! Someplace fall-y. Hopleaf comes to mind. Must be the "leaf" in the name.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.