Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Midwestern Mamas!
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Friends and Family
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
stargazer
Hey Angelle!

I will be in town on Saturday! PM me if you want to get together for lunch. I'm always up for meetin' more Busties.

I think I'm like some Bustie ambassador. wink.gif

Oh, and when and where is our next Bustie get together?? blink.gif
princess_dander
I'm here!

I'd love another get together. Is the book club still going on?
sidecar
Laurenann, I live in Andersonville ON ASHLAND AVENUE. Holy crap! It is, in my humble opinion, the best neighborhood. (See later in this post). There are great restaurants, cool bars (smoke-free on Jan. 1!), good local shopping, it's pretty gay, transportation is easy...I love it here. We call it Gayberry because it's kind of like a small town, but gay.

I'm sorry I've missed all the get-togethers lately. I was also at the same conference as prophecygirl, so late June was a total wash.

BTW, I went to Women and Children First last night (feminist bookstore in Andersonville), and not only are they having a Harry Potter themed party on July 20, but the clerk told me the whole neighborhood is getting in on it -- there will be drink specials at the local bars, a scavenger hunt, and other stuff. If this doesn't say Bustie Get-together, I don't know what does. I will totes be there.
avaadore
Thank goodness Harry Potter is being release on a Friday! I'm totally going to go. After a nap. (I have class at 6 am on Fridays.) And then I have the weekend to be completely absorbed with reading it!

And for all the people coming into town I'm pretty much free to hang out! After the ninth I'll have class, but they're all morning classes so feel free to hit me up for the afternoons.
angelle321
Speaking of Andersonville, that's where we stay when we go cause bf's parents live there. His sister worked at the Screenz there for a long time. So I've spent quite a bit of time in the area. I dig it. We have a lot of things within close walking distance so that's always nice.

Stargazer - Saturday the 7th? I'd be down for that.

Sidecar - how would you feel about meeting up for lunch or dinner or something since we'll be in the same area?
stargazer
i'm so backwards. angelle, i thought you were in town this saturday! blink.gif let me know if you want to get together for lunch on the 7th. and anyone else for that matter!

i wish i could get into harry potter. but, i can't.

princess_dander, after our half-hearted attempt, i think we are taking a break from books. we realized we didn't need the book club as an excuse to get together every month.

laurenann, when do you move up here?? andersonville is a great neighborhood. but, you have me feeling like i will be a fish out of water being in boston. whatever. i will just have to warm up those bostonians when i move there!
kittenb
Oooo, drink specials, a scavenger hunt AND Harry Potter?! Count me in. And here I was just looking forward to the party.
turbojenn
Count me in for the Potter madness, too! I can probably swing lunch next Saturday too...
pollystyrene
Count me in for lunch next Saturday (woohoo, no work!) but I think I'm going to the HP festivities at The Magic Tree in Oak Park. I know, I was going to go to W&CF, but I think we're doing this with prophecy's family who lives in O.P. and they have little kids, so it's just easier. Doesn't missladyj live at that end of town?
missladyj
I am in Austin super close of Oak Park but I've got out of town friends coming in and will be tied up with that this weekend. Plus we are going to see the Police at wrigley field Although hubby keeps telling me he sold the tickets and I keep saying that I hope he got a lot of money for them to help pay for grad school. but i seriously think we are going. I sincerely hope it doesn't suck because I have read some bad reviews. anyone else going to the show?

I am on a mission to make to a busty gathering this summer . I wanna meet all the loverlie chitown busties! Keep me posted
pollystyrene
Well, the location of lunch on the 7th is still undetermined, missladyj- is that the weekend you won't be able to make it to?

The Friday night prophecy and I will be in O.P. is the 20th for the Harry Potter festivities.

LeBoy, his brother, as well as prophecy and some other people are going to the Friday night Police show. The Police hold no interest for me, so I won't be there.

Now, if we can find a weekend both missladyj AND sidecar can attend, that would be AMAZING.

Stargazer, as sad as I am to bring this up, when exactly are you leaving us? We need to pick a day for your going away party.....and when can we plan your "welcome home" party, too? sad.gif
stargazer
yeah, polly, i don't want to think about it either. sad.gif i drive off east on aug. 31st. i know i have something aug. 18th for my cousin's wedding celebration. i will be gone the early part of aug. (1-13) for london. so, aug. 19th or aug. 25th or 26th is good.

maybe we should do something up north since angelle will be in the andersonville area for the 7th??

i want to see the Police, but I too have heard horrible reviews. I dread what the city traffic will be like with the Taste and the Police in town this week. Scary. unsure.gif
pollystyrene
I'm good with 8/19 or 8/25; 8/26, I may have plans.

Andersonville sounds good for next Saturday- any ideas? My knowledge of the area is limited, so I'd vote for Reza's or Andie's.
turbojenn
I'm kind of over Reza's and Andies...I've had some verrrry sloppy food from them lately...M Henry is awesome for brunchiness, but there'll definitely be a wait...but the Fannie's Killer Egg Sandwich...is truly a beauty to behold....

Any other lunchy thoughts - sidecar - you're our 'hood expert - what do you recommend?

Shall I check the patio reservation schedule at our place for star's (temporary) farewell par-tay?
angelle321
So the bf and I have arrived. We'll be here all week (leaving the 8th) so anyone who wants to do anything else this week too we'd be up for stuff.

Must go eat food now. Yay!
sidecar
Yeah, my last meal at Andie's was pretty poor, and I can't eat at Reza's because its owner is a crazy slumlord who exploits half the neighborhood. I've started going to the Andie's on Montrose instead. I will probably just join everyone for lunch if that's cool, Angelle -- I've got dinner with a coworker tomorrow night, movie with Martini Tuesday, a cookout on Wednesday, and I think maybe Thursday I'll sleep. smile.gif

The new crepes place is pretty good (Ikosium). I like the patios at Angel's (not the greatest Mexican, but cheap and their brunch is reliable) and T's (gay brew pub), if it's nice outside. You can never go wrong with Taste of Heaven either. I like Saturdays there because you can get lunch food or brunch food until pretty late. Charlie's gave us a private room when we had a bigger group once, which was nice. Augie's is good for greasy spoon food.

I love M. Henry, but the wait is killer, even with the extra space they added. I do like that bread pudding though.
pollystyrene
Okay, it's been awhile since I've been to either place, so good to know not to waste my time at either. Taste of Heaven could be good- they're the place that put up the "if your kids can't behave, get out" sign, right (paraphrased!) Anything that pisses off the Cult of Motherhood is cool with me.
laurenann
sidecar, that is awesome! we will be neighbors!! i'll have to post here more often to get to know you all a little better.

i was actually in chicago this weekend for a wedding. it was at the museum of contemporary art. it was the best wedding ever. i was a bridesmaid, and i met some of the bride and grooms friends who live in chicago (most of the friends there were from college, like me) and now i am sooo excited to come back in a month.

sidecar
Yep, that's Taste of Heaven. I like to call it the world's most important bakery, after all the brouhaha that followed the sign.
kittenb
M Henry's is worth any amount of wait. I love that place.

However, I have so much going on this week that I am not sure that I can afford to do a lunch. I am really going to be scraping the bottom of my barrel to pay for the book club I am hosting, the bachlorette party I am attending and the bridal shower I am going to. This is all in a 4-day period mind you. Anyway, my point is don't count on me but I stay up on what the plans are in case I can make it.
missladyj
I can't make the 7th but 8/19 works for me. How about Lulu cafe in Logan Square for the date in August. Am I getting ahead of myself?

We will definately be taking public transportation to the police show. Here's hoping it doesn't suck!
stargazer
i can do M Henry's too. i've heard too much about this place that i need to try it now. i can get up there early if needed.

turbo, a patio party would be nice again.
turbojenn
Alrighty, I'm hearing an M Henry's quorum!! Okay, so we need to know how many are going, and if we're going for brekkie or a little later for brunch. I can make it at any point...and yeah, the line is definitely worth it. Mmmmm....
pollystyrene
I'd be good with M Henry. Mmm, bliss cakes. I've been looking forward to trying those.

ETA: I made the mistake of looking at their website and now I'm torn between the bliss cakes and the banana French toast. Crap. LeBoy may have to come with so he can order one and I'll order the other.
angelle321
Alas, I can't get the site to load for me right now. I don't remember if I've been there or not. But good food makes me happy. smile.gif

I think we're going to do the Taste today and then meet back up with bf's family later for fireworks. I'm just waking up. I'm all allergy-itchy. Bleah!

Yesterday/last night I went and spent a bunch of money at Sephora/Sanrio/Lush/H&M.
stargazer
So, what time for M'Henry?? 11am?? I can get there early to make sure we get a seat. Well, more than 1 seat! rolleyes.gif

Who's in? I got me, Polly, Leboy?, Angelle, Turbojenn..... Who else? Sidecar, were you in? Couldn't remember? Humanist? Ava? Jane? What's the scoop ladies?

Polly, you could always try one of our dishes. I can share. wink.gif Hey, do they serve liquor? I should go to the site. I'm craving a bloody mary.
sidecar
I'm in. We should probably go earlyish. I wonder if they take reservations.
turbojenn
I'm good with going earlier too - I can make it anytime...11am will probably be peak time, but if one of us gets there around 10:30am, we should be good. I'm happy to head down there early, so long as we have a final count.

And polly, you can also get half orders of french toast....OR, what we very regularly do is order whatever special french toast of the day they have for an appetizer, and share with the whole table. smile.gif Last time, it was brioche french toast with a strawberry-rhubarb compote and whipped cream. What better appetizer could you have, right?!

stargazer
11 am is peak time, huh. then maybe 10am. i can be there then. what about everyone else? or 1030? whateva.

well, m Henry's looked like a healthy joint. i didn't see bloody mary's on the menu. bummer. but, i'm sure i will be too full to drink!

sidecar, are you bringing martini or just you?

Happy 4th to everyone too!!
angelle321
Any time works for me. Doing things with bf's family later in the day. So count me in for 2 (self and bf).
avaadore
Well, I don't think I'm going to make it. sad.gif I have orientation at 1pm. Which is a bummer cause M Henry's sounds yummmmyy! And the company isnt bad either! tongue.gif
humanist77
I'll come if my sister wants to pick me up in Oak Park... rolleyes.gif We're house sitting this weekend.
Or does anyone live in the area?
pollystyrene
Um, there's a train in Oak Park- use it! tongue.gif

So, count me and LeBoy in. Not sure if he'll make it- depends on how well he survives The Police concert tonight (y'know, with the hardcore baby boomer-ridden mosh pit and all. ohmy.gif Sorry.) But better to expect more than less.

Not sure if prophecy will make it....she just got back into town, but she'll be at the concert with LeBoy tonight, so I'll have him find out.

Metromix says no reservations are accepted, but then again, they were wrong about Moody's.
humanist77
Do you have ANY idea how LONG it would take to go from one end of the green line to the other end of the red line?
turbojenn
humanist... - its 40minutes on the green line to the loop during rush hour, and then probably 40 minutes north on the red....that'd be a best case scenario...and weekends can be sluggish. I'm sure we could be convinced to go to M Henry another weekend, sometime, if you decide not to join us. wink.gif
humanist77
thanks, jenn-but with how terrible the CTA has been lately, I am guaranteed NOT to get the best case scenario. I don't think I can pass up M Henrys and Busties though, so I might just stick it out.
angelle321
Humanist, Remorra might be able to pick you up. We had lunch/dinner with her tonight but I couldn't remember where you had said you were so I wasn't able to tell her. She doesn't have good internet access right now so she's supposed to call me and I'm going to give her the run down of this thread and what we know so far.

So are we thinking the 10ish range for meeting?
stargazer
i think 10ish is good. i will get a table for 10 just to be safe. i have me, angelle, her bf, polly, leboy, turbo, sidecar, and possibly humanist (and her bf?) and princess dander.

i'm kinda glad we are sittin inside cause we would be sweaty monkeys with this terrible heat wave. dress cool everyone! cool.gif polly, that means wear sunblock! tongue.gif
angelle321
princess remorra's girlie might be coming too. so count her for a possible 2.
pollystyrene
Maybe add one for prophecy- still don't know if she's coming.
turbojenn
Mornin' ya'll! I'd still shoot for a table of 10, max....its going to be hard enough getting a table for that many, and we've got a few too many "maybes" in the mix here...I hate to overestimate at places like M, 'cause it makes our wait longer, and takes money from servers if they end up holding too many tables for us while we wait for a 10 set-up. Looks like we're pretty solid at 7, with 3 maybes in there...hopefully some of the ladies will check in here this morning.

Off to the farmer's market for me - see everyone later!
pollystyrene
Yeah, go for 10- LeBoy didn't get a chance to talk to Prophecy last night, so let's assume she's not coming. He is coming, though, with a crazy concert tale that even wowed me!
stargazer
cool. i'm on my way to head up to andersonville now!
humanist77
Sorry ladies! I slept in too late this morning. Polly called me at like 9:30 and I was half asleep. I'm sure I missed a lot : (
I'll be there next time~
sidecar
You know, I thought we were starting at 11! No wonder you all looked at me strange when I said I was a few minutes late. Sorry about that.

It was great seeing everyone again -- I'll put August 19 on my calendar. Angelle, ahve a great trip back!
stargazer
not a problem, sidecar. i'm just glad you were able to make it.

angelle, it was so great to meet you! you know, you are more than welcomed to come back aug. 19th for our next get together!

M.Henry's was so goooood. I ate like the Simpsons do (my face never left my plate) once my meal arrived.
laurenann
i'm marking august 19th in my planner - my first midwestern mama's meetup!
angelle321
Thanks guys! It was great meeting all of you! smile.gif

So stargazer, I got the ice cream out of my shirt when we got back and then promptly poured an imp of perfume oil all over me. Awesome. I've washed that out now too. Gues it just wasn't that shirt's day. smile.gif
turbojenn
Awww...poor pink moon shirt!

It was great to have brunch with everybody this morning - and yeah, the food was so goooooo! Nice to meet you and the BF, Angelle, I'm glad we were able to meet up!

So, I still need to check the calendar to reserve our patio for the 19th, but it looks like now, that the party will be in the middle of our kitchen re-model, so prepare for mass chaos, and total lack of a functioning kitchen. smile.gif

stargazer
oh. let us know if we should have the get together at a restaurant. i don't want to add more chaos with your kitchen being remodeled.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.