Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Midwestern Mamas!
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Friends and Family
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
turbojenn
Woo-hoo! Six, that is so exciting that you'll be joining us to bid (temporary, extremely temporary) farewell to our beloved star! I'll be there....wherever that is...
ginger_kitty
I'm hoping to make it to the get together. My hubby has been wanting to check out a couple museums, so that weekend seems like a good time for our roadtrip.
turbojenn
Wooo-hoo....this gathering is turning into a hub of busties from all over the country!! I'm lovin' it!
stargazer
yeah for more busties!! so awesome. i love meeting new people. and considering how great things went here in the uk...i know great things will continue at our next get together.

on another note...i have a dear friend who is moving and she wants to get rid of her stuff...so here's the link to her bedroom set and tv stand...she's willing to bargain....spread the word....

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/fur/392587653.html

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/fur/392568571.html

off to contemplate places to eat while i'm sleeping....
knorl05
oo i love that bed set! if i were moving now i'd so snatch it up~
bustygirl
Hey, forgive me for double posting, but I'm part of the STL Craft Mafia, and we're putting on a DIY style craft fair blowout this Saturday.

Come see us, y'all! We'll be giving away FREE gift bags, the ARRG girls will be there, and there will be music and cheescake and liquor. Kids are welcome, it starts at 7pm, and the most important part? Admission is freeeeeeee.

For more info, check out www.craftanostra.com.
pollystyrene
Hey Stargazer, you got back yesterday, right? Hope the jetlag wears off soon.

So it looks like Cafe Iberico is the only place that opens before 4:00 on Sunday. If we need to start at 4:00, it's no big deal, I'll just have to be out of there by 8 or 8:30, which is a long time to be at a restaurant anyway (not nearly long enough to say good-bye to star, though sad.gif ) but I think if we go to Cafe Iberico and start at 2:00, we'll be enough in between meal times that the place won't be too crowded, which I know was the complaint about it.

So...let's decide where, when and a final count of who will be there!

ETA: I'm thinking there will be 13 of us, based on who has said they're coming: Stargazer, myself, humanist, prophecy, turbo, ava, jane, kitten, six, ginger, lauren, princess dander, missladyj....I could be making assumptions on some of those.
kittenb
I love Cafe Iberco's and I can make either time.
sixelacat
I will definitely be there, anytime works for me. I know not any of these places, so whatever you Chicago Busties decide!
janeinane
Will attend, can do either time as well.
turbojenn
Iberico is fine by me, too, and 2pm sounds great!
laurenann
where is iberico? i am 99% down. it's my best friends birthday that day, but she's having a party the night before, and i think she maybe had plans on sunday already or something. i think both of my roommates are working that day, too, so i'll be looking for some company! i am really looking forward to meeting you all.
stargazer
yes, i'm back polly!! the jet lag has finally worn off!

Cafe Iberico is cool. I've never been there so it will be a treat. And the time works fine also!

Can't wait to see y'all. Although, I don't want to say a "temporary" goodbye. I suck at 'em.
missladyj
I'm there.
llamas
*peeks in*
*waves*
Hi Chicago Busties from a Columbustie! I have a random question: have any of you been to Martyrs on Lincoln Avenue? I hopefully will be going there for a show in September, and was wondering about the atmosphere, dressiness or lack therof, etc. Thanks dolls!
avaadore
I will *hopefully* be there.
stargazer
i hope you can come ava! call me if you need a ride.

llamas, martyr's is pretty laidback. so whatever you wear will be fine. it hosts all kinds of music acts. so don't worry.
sidecar
I'm planning on going, so I'll see you all there at 2!

Martyr's is really cool, no worrying about dress code. Beer is relatively cheap. it's a bit smallish, so get there early if you want to stand close to the band or grab a bar stool and sit.
prophecy_grrl
I'm still planning to be there, but unfortunately won't be able to stay for all 6 hours smile.gif We're in the midst of packing our apartment for our move over labor day weekend (to what I understand is turbo's block). I hate moving.
llamas
Thanks for the info and advice! biggrin.gif
turbojenn
Oooh, prophecy's moving to my block - how cool!!! We'll have to chat tomorrow!

Oh, and for CTA riders, remember, its Air & Water weekend, so the trains will be much more crowded than usual...hence, I will be on bike. smile.gif
princess_dander
Ooooh oooh! I'll be there! I can't wait! It's going to be a blast!

I hate the Air and Water show. It scares me when they pratice.
turbojenn
WORD, on that dander...all week, as I'm out strolling around at lunchtime, they're practicing and zooming all over the loop randomly, and its VERY startling...and even in our office, it shakes the windows on the buildings when they get real close - we're right between Millenium and the River, so there were lots of fly-bys this week.
pollystyrene
Pfft, the Air & Water show....that Japanese/Buddhist festival that I went to last weekend, up until a couple of years ago (and it's been going on for over 50 years) they would have it the third weekend in August, but then the Air & Water show started happening that weekend and it's hard to have a low-key, relaxing Buddhist festival when there's an F-16 blasting overhead every 5 minutes, so they had to change their date to the second weekend in August.
pollystyrene
Ok, reservations have been made for 13 tomorrow at 2:00 at Cafe Iberico. They are under my real name, so PM me if you don't know it (and no offense will be taken if we've met before and you don't remember!)
turbojenn
Thanks, polly!

Well, I've got three dogs trying to crawl under my skin here...all the fast zoomy planes from the show turn around right in front of our house, and the puppers are none too pleased about it. So much for my nap this afternoon....
ginger_kitty
I am so disappointed, I just found out today, that I have mandatory overtime tommorrow at work. So I won't be able to come. sad.gif I can't believe my boss waited until today to let me know. Work sucks....

I hope you ladies all have fun though!
stargazer
boo ginger_kitty. sad.gif well, there will be other times you can come to the windy city to meet the chicago busties. i've never heard of "mandatory" overtime. i thought overtime work was something you asked for. blink.gif
kittenb
I love Cafe Iberico's. And I have to say that I love the weirdness that is the Air & Water Show. It always takes a few fly-bys on the practice days (Thurs. & Fri.) to remember that it is coming. It just sunds like we are being invaded or something.
amywoman
Being invaded - that's kind of how it feels to me too, kittenb. Sometimes I expect Snoopy to fly by in his aviator helmet.
sixelacat
Hmmm, looks like I'll be arriving somewhat late. I can catch the 1pm train, but it gets into Jefferson Park Metra at 2pm, and then it's another 30-40 minutes to get to the Cafe. But I WILL be there, promise!
kittenb
I am pretty sure that I ate my weight in tapas. I just want to say that.
Somehow, though, I am actually a little hungry tonight so I am having a spinach salad. B/c that should make up for the dietary sins of the day. rolleyes.gif

I loved seeing everyone today! Kisses!!!
laurenann
sorry i was a no show, the birthday girl wanted brunch at toast at noon, so i did that instead. she's my best friend, but it was still a hard call! hope you all had fun. maybe next time?
missladyj
I had a great time! it was awesome to finally meet the Chitown busties!
amywoman
Any Chicago BUSTies get stuck due to the weather and resulting transit issues? My train line was not running because of a tree on the tracks. Lucky for me I took a different line and got picked up but I imagine the buses they were directing people to were really crowded and slow.

I heard that someone's roof blew off near Lake Shore Drive and porta-potties were piling up on the beach. I know there were lots of trees and branches down around here and lots of traffic lights were out.

I'm just in awe that we've had tornadoes here. We have them so rarely this close to the lake that it was fair to say we NEVER had them. Now we've had them, what, twice this year?
pollystyrene
I'm out in the suburbs and ::fingers crossed:: the power's still on. My mom's is out, though, and so is my co-worker's. It was a little scary going home- there were some parts where I was nearly floating through the street and probably would have stalled out if I were stuck in the water for even a few seconds longer. I saw downed power lines and trees along the way. We're about 300 feet from the Des Plaines River and somehow not even our parking lot is flooded.

My mom has a couple of inches of water in her basement, so I'll be doing laundry at my grandparent's tomorrow!

Hope everyone's okay and ready to brace themselves- they say tomorrow and Saturday could be the same weather!
amywoman
I feel lucky that we were only facing a piece of siding hanging off the house - well, that and the train line I take not running. There were lots of trees and tree branches down around here. One rather large one was resting on some poor soul's car. Hope that person has more than liability insurance. sad.gif
pollystyrene
My mom's power is still out. I told her to bring some of the more valuable stuff from her freezer over to put in mine (and conveniently forget to take those Maryland crab cakes back when the power comes back on!) Her neighbor is running a really loud generator and she's starting to get pissed off. I suspect between that and the lack of a/c, she'll be joining me at my grandparent's tonight.

One of our patients at work yesterday said he saw a tree on fire as he drove to the office. Eek.

At least it's not supposed to rain much on Saturday. Just today. Better take the dog out before it pours. He's a total diva about being in the rain.
stargazer
my 'rents had their power out overnight. from 7pm-5am. not too bad. what was scary was how the weather turned overnight. i was on the road when i saw the clouds moving VERY fast. it was kinda cool. i've never seen clouds move so fast. it was almost hypnotic to watch. but, i kept my eyes on the road. rolleyes.gif

i need good vibes for some rain free weather tomorrow! my folks are having a family party for me.
turbojenn
Lots of trees down in Rogers Park too....I got stuck sitting on the L tracks for an hour yesterday while they cleared branches...it was so weird, as they would clear a branch, we'd proceed north a bit to the next branch on the tracks, wait some more...and puttered all the way north like that. One of my co-workers got stuck on the green line when the power went out, and sat there in a dark train, no AC, as the storm whipped around her. Scary stuff.

((((clear weather for star))))
avaadore
Ok, so nothing very bad happened to me..no trees fell into my apartment or anything. But I did wake up for class at 4 am as usual. Only to get to class and find out at 5:50 that our instructor wasn't going to be able to make it in. I hope she's ok, but mostly I'm just grumpy. I could have slept in!!
pollystyrene
I went down to walk the dog and found out they're sandbagging at the end of my street. My street runs right into the D.P. River and I feel kinda bad for not going down there, but being in a constant bent-over position, heaving bags of sand would do bad, bad things to my back. And I don't even have any lemonade or anything to take down there to the volunteers. Poop. I'm a bad person. mellow.gif
stargazer
um, i'm itching to go to angelina's ristorante this sunday. if anyone else cares to join me, then let me know. it is off of broadway/addison. near boystown. it is best to get there by 11am. who's up for it? they have the best bloody marys. all you can drink bellini/mimosa special. great french toast stuffed with bananas.

ETA: i forgot to add it's part of my "operation cheerup sidecar" since martini's dad is ill. read kvetch thread about the situation.
missladyj
It took me three hours to get home on Thurs and then school was cancelled on Friday. Which was awesome because I had no idea how the hell i was gonna get out there.

We were lucky on the West Side, no trees came down and we got a little water in the basement.
turbojenn
star, you had me at "bloody marys." smile.gif Let me know what time you're meeting up there. And stuffed french toast....yummmmm.

pollystyrene
hmm, 11am...I'll think about it. If I do, I'll take the train so I can have a bellini and/or mimosa. Actually, I've never had a bloody mary, so if it's a good place to get one, maybe I'll try that.
stargazer
i'll be there at 11am for sure. seriously. it is the.best.bloody.mary.evah.

off to get ready for the party...
turbojenn
11am it is. I'll be there! Turbomann and I just rode our bikes to Moody's for burgers and sangria....good thing its a nice day, as we had to sit there for a good long time before we felt safe enough to ride home. smile.gif

princess_dander
D'oh! It's been a week since the last bustie meetup and I am just getting around to posting here! I seriously need to make posting a habit again! It was so rad and I had so much fun! All of you ladies rock!

I got caught right in the middle of the microburts or whatever the fuck it was and it was scary! I have worked outdoors in all kinds of weather on and off for various jobs for almost 10 years, and I was never really scared until last week. A huge tree limb cracked while I was trying to see where I was going and I was seriously almost about to pee!

I'm not going to make it this morning for the bloody mary-ness! I'm so sad, but I hope all of you have a bloody great time!
avaadore
I apologize in advice for using the board to pawn off animals:

Does anybody want a kitten? I have a friend that found one but can't keep it at her apartment so I'm trying to help her find a home for it. It's cute, she says it's really friendly. If any one is interested let me know.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.