Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Midwestern Mamas!
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Friends and Family
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
pollystyrene
Nope, she's in Israel. Just left yesterday.
tart
Boo!

:waves:

How are all my sorely-neglected-but-often-thought-of Chicago ladies?
kittenb
Hey! It's a tart sighting!
pollystyrene
TART!

I wished you happy birthday in the birthday thread- did you see it?

We miss you lots here! It's been so dead without you and stargazer (no offense to everyone- we've all just gotten busy!)....she'll be back soon enough, though- do you and the family ever get back here to visit?

How's life in the Keystone State? How's the house? I remember there was some work that needed to be done on it, but it was so lovely, with the original woodwork....*drooool*

Speaking of getting together more, how's everyone's Fridays or Saturdays looking for the next few weeks? We'll be out of town the weekend of July 4th and we have a wedding sometime in July, I think on a Friday. But the rest of June and any other days in July have no commitments. I think we should do a potluck BBQ thing at the beach (Rogers Park/Edgewater area), maybe in the evening when it's not so hot out?
turbojenn
TARTARTARTART!!!!!!

Come BAAAAaaaaaaCk! You can't just wink at us and leave!!! Get your sexy behind back in here and catch us up - give us the deets on your PA lifestyle and that adorable tartlette! Oh, and don't forget the pictures! wink.gif

BBQ sometime this month sounds good. I'm always happy to host at casa de turbo, but if y'all want to go somewhere else, that's cool too. This month is booking up pretty quick for us, so I've pretty much got Friday the 20th or Saturday the 21st open....geez, when did I get so busy?!

stargazer
Taaaaaaaart!

i was looking at your pics on flickr and wondering how you are doing! i meece you. please let us know how you are.
pollystyrene
20th or 21st is good with me....humanist, prophecy, jane, ava, kitten, sidecar, missladyj, dander? Am I missing anyone? I didn't want to just invite us over, turbo, but I *did* miss out on the unveiling of the kitchen when I was sick at Christmas. If we do the beach, I have a small but sufficient grill I could bring.

Tart flickr pics? I know I looked at the pictures of the house waaaay long ago, when you first moved, but I don't have the link anymore.

janeinane
Arg, can't do that weekend, will be regaling my mom for her birthday. Have great fun if you do get together then!

Hi Tart!!
avaadore
I will most likely not be able to make that weekend as I will be working my last 15 hour shifts before I have to move and go back to school.

prophecy_grrl
I can do the 20th! 21st is out for me, though. would this be a +partners event or girls only?
turbojenn
Prophecy - partners would certainly be welcome, and I mean, really - you live across the street - we could hardly exclude mr. prophecy when he could practically smell the BBQ from your apt! So is the 20th a go, then? Jane & ava, we will have to have another BBQ later in the summer - maybe to welcome our beautiful star home!
humanist77
I can do the 20th too-I get out at 3 on Fridays!
What time were we thinking?
tart
Awww, man. I wanna come & hang out at Turbo's, dangit! :mopemopemope:

New flickr pictures up (finally) - you can witness the ridiculousness that is My Boy...
kittenb
What time are we thinking for Friday? I work until 6 PM downtown.
stargazer
thanks for photos tart! i almost didn't recognize your hubby without his long hair. no pics of you?? i wanna see you!!

and the little tyke looks big and happy. just don't parade him in front of a church congregation soon or he will loose his cool. polly and i know this one from experience. wink.gif
turbojenn
Awwww, Tart - thanks for the piccies! The boy is SO adorable - and BIG!!! And your house and plants look great!

How about 7pm for Friday. I'll get some stuff to throw on the grill, and I'll have a pitcher of 'ritas (of course)...bring a dish to share, and if you want anything to drink other than tequila, bring that along too. If anyone needs directions, send me a PM!!

Tart & Star - we know you'll both be with us in spirit, and know that you will be very much missed.
pollystyrene
I'll bring sangria and a "to be decided" something else. 7pm sounds good!
kittenb
I am going to be lame and bing chips and some sort of dip. I'll be coming straight from work and I need something I can grab on the way.
See you all Friday!
prophecy_grrl
i'll bring guacamole and possibly some sort of beverage.
humanist77
As I recall, the patio has some sort of roof over it, right? There's a showers/thunderstorms warning for Friday. It'll be around 80 degrees, but likely raining-which is fine with me, as long as we do have something to hide under smile.gif

Haven't decided what to bring yet-do we need meat? Because I have meat : P I just dethawed some good chicken breasts that I can marinate in something, maybe?
turbojenn
Sure, humanist, bring yer marinated chicken titties along, and we'll toss them on the grill!

Yep, the patio has a roof, but we can always hang in the condo too - no biggie either way - just don't expect a perfectly sparkling clean abode. wink.gif

So, are all the boys joining us too - just need to know how much meat to get (mmmm kosher garlic sausages)....

Can't wait to see ya'll on Friday!

Hey polly - can you PM me the name/address of the dental practice where you work - Turbomann is lookin' for a new dentist, and I think your office might be on his route home from Schaumburgia. Thanks!
humanist77
heheehee, *chicken titties*
if only chickens had nipples~
:D
turbojenn
Whoa...that would be weird! Can you imagine the taste of chicken milk?!!
janeinane
But wouldn't it just ... taste like chicken? wink.gif

Have fun y'all!
kittenb
My RSVP is just for 1. The boy will be off playing poker where he promises to win lots of $$$ and buy me pretty things.
pollystyrene
Wow, tart- I just now got time to look through your flickr pics- the bebeh is nearly unrecognizeable! I had to go back to pictures probably when you were still in Chicago to remember what he looked like when we last saw him! Such a big boy!

...homer drooling at the thought of the kosher garlic sausages....so delish.
turbojenn
Hey y'all! Can't wait to see you tomorrow! Do bring a sweater - it does get chilly out here on the lake! smile.gif

Got the garlic sausages, but they were all out of those delicious challah onion rolls. boo. And they close early tomorrow, so I probably won't be able to snag some. I'll see how late the actual bakery who makes them is open.
humanist77
I started the marinade last night and cooked a couple pieces this evening-very gingery/garlicky/limey/tasty!
maybe bring pita bread or something? We can make little chickeny/sausagey pita sandwich things. Sound good?
pollystyrene
No one has issues with crab, do they? I think I'm going to make a crab dip.
turbojenn
It all sounds Deeeee-licious!! See y'all soon!
kittenb
Great food, great conversations, great conversations about food. Yup, it was a Chicago Bustie get-together! Great to see everyone!

As an additional bonus, I got to see TurboJen at the Evanston Farmer's Market this morning. smile.gif Busties everywhere!

It is possible I use too many exclamation points!
humanist77
I had a great time last night! Thanks ya'll!
turbojenn
Thanks for coming over, everyone!! Turbomann and I had SUCH a good time, and you all rock, bringing such tasty things to share! Humanist, we enjoyed the rest of the chicken tittehs last night - they were double delicious after 2 days marinating! Busties are the BEST company! We'll have to get together again soon....and very soon our beloved Star will be back with us too - YAY!
pollystyrene
Thanks so much for having us, turbos! You were wonderful hosts, as always! Everything was so yummy! biggrin.gif
turbojenn
Polly - I *need* that recipe for the crab dip - that was Sooooooooo good - esp with the plantain chips! smile.gif Can you post the recipe, pretty please??

*bats eyes at polly*
pollystyrene
Absolutely! Over in the barefoot thread!
prophecy_grrl
thanks to the turbo clan for hosting - we had a fabulous time. it was great to see everyone and what a perfect way to usher in summer . . . oh, and the food - still thinking about it all today. yum.
sidecar
I have to start coming in this thread (although I had pavilion tickets for Willie Nelson on Friday as it were). Sounds like it was a blast! Maybe I'll catch a later summer get together, although I have something going on nearly every weekend from now to August. Sigh. I need to do a better job of stopping to smell the roses.
turbojenn
sidecar, you *really* must join us for a bustie gathering sometime soon - we always have a fabulous time, and the food is ALWAYS good, guaranteed! We'll plan the next one a bit farther in advance, and let you know over in kvetch.
sidecar
Ever since I got promoted and had to trade my office in for a very public cubicle, it's harder to sneak into Bust during the day. On the plus side, I'm way more productive, but it's taking a toll on my online life!
turbojenn
WAIT....you get promoted, but DE-moted to a cubicle???? That is just WRONG.

Yeah, I can't bust at work either, my cube is on the entry aisle that every single employee walks down, and then there's the 22 inch studio display....no hiding there.
vixen_within
Hi Chicago women
I'm going to be in Chicago for the first time next week. I'm thinking of trying to get around on a bicycle. Are there any decent, cheap places to get one tuned up, and to maybe find a bike map? Is it a good biking city or would I be taking my life in my hands? Better off on public transit?

The only thing I know about Chicago is that I'm staying close to an area called Lincoln Park around Armitage & Bissell (where ever THAT is) and I'll be spending a lot of time in "West Lakeview" area.

humanist77
Chicago is mostly good for biking, vixen, but I would definitely recommend studying the Chicago bike maps, and also the area where you'll be on google maps so you can get a more detailed picture. I found a short wiki page dedicated to biking in Chicago! There are bike shops all over; I'd just search for 'chicago' 'bike shop' 'lincoln park' or something~
And the public transit is generally a good way to get around-but don't go by the train/bus schedules online, because they usually don't follow them much-just allow yourself extra time.
If you want to know more, just ask-we're all pretty knowledgeable!
Will you be available at all to meet up with any of us Chicago Busties? smile.gif
vixen_within
QUOTE(humanist77 @ Jul 11 2008, 12:02 PM) *
Chicago is mostly good for biking, vixen, but I would definitely recommend studying the Chicago bike maps, and also the area where you'll be on google maps so you can get a more detailed picture. I found a short wiki page dedicated to biking in Chicago! There are bike shops all over; I'd just search for 'chicago' 'bike shop' 'lincoln park' or something~
And the public transit is generally a good way to get around-but don't go by the train/bus schedules online, because they usually don't follow them much-just allow yourself extra time.
If you want to know more, just ask-we're all pretty knowledgeable!
Will you be available at all to meet up with any of us Chicago Busties? smile.gif

Oh thank you Humanist this is a big help to me. I'm not sure if I'll have any time at all outside of the conference I'm attending--but meeting Chicago busties would be pretty cool. Do you meet fairly regularly? I'm going to examine the maps you linked, I might be back with more questions. It's a relief to know Chicago is bike friendly, I think that's the signature of an awesome city to be in. I'm thinking I'll buy a cheap one off of Craigslist when I get into town.
humanist77
no prob, vixen!
you can also rent a bike from the Millennium Park bike station-it's not too expensive~
We do all try to get together every couple of months; definitely let us know if you'll be able to hang out-we can usually throw something together at last minute : )
bustygirl
(Sorry for the double post!)

Hey MO crafters, I'm spreading the word about a kid-friendly cafe I go to that has Crafternoons every second and fourth Sunday afternoon from 12 to 4. It's located in Maplewood, and you can get directions at http://www.cooperella.com.

Sewing Machines and sergers are welcome, and they serve beer and wine as well as coffee. Come say hi! I'll be there with my little 'un from about 2.
doxy
Damn, I was just in Chi-town.
The New Orleans Bartending Guild is you guys' sister city, so some of us went up there to help renovate that bar, Weeds.
Anyway, we had a blast. I love Marie's Rip TIde Lounge, Matchbox, Map Room and the Green Mill.
Violet Hour was great for cocktails, as was the Drawing Room.
Had a great time.
stargazer
dude, you should've contacted the chicago busties. your loss. heh
humanist77
the Violet Hour has AMAZING drinks! I just wish we lived closer to go more often!
vixen_within
I just recovered from my Chicago trip - you guys, your city is awesome. I didn't even get a chance to go to the big park and I know this.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.