Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pregnancy - all things good, bad, and otherwise
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Our Bodies, Our Hells
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90
kiss_the_fiddler
Hi all. I have news. I'm PREGNANT!!!!!! Finally, after three years of TTC, something stuck! I'm excited out of my mind. I'm only 4 weeks and I'm having a hard time not telling everybody I know.

fiddler
lapis
Yay, fiddler! Hope it goes great!
moxiegirl
Fiddler...that's why we have bust! Congrats! How ru feeling?
kiss_the_fiddler
I'm feeling alright. Tired and happy but okay. I have no appetite but I'm not puking either so I'm happy with that. My bbs are sore but I don't care - I"M PREGNANT!!!!

snarky7
OMG KiSS! ARE YOU SERIOUS????? WOO HOO! Wishing you all the best and hoping to meet lil kiss one day!!!
pepper
YAY!!!!
thatgirlkelly
Hi All--Just found out I'm preggers after trying for a couple of months. Generally freaked out and what not. My questions.....can anyone recommend a pregnancy book for those of us who are NOT into the whole, "little miracle" thing? Nothing against those of you who emulate the goddess herself, but it's just not my deal. I'm looking for a straight forward, hopefully somewhat snarky look at the next 9 months. So if you know of a book, or would like to collaborate with me on writing one, let me know.
pixiedust
There are several in the "girlfriends guide to" series. They are a little more off beat than What to expect when you are expecting.
pepper
hey kelly, the thing i've found about those things is that they are just so darn negative. they focus so much on every possible teeny tiny little thing that can go wrong. it can make you a paranoid freak-out of a pregnant lady, like we need any more reason to be emotionally irrational! anyhoo, there has to be something out there that talks about what happens without being so doomsday about it. if i come across one i'll let you know. in the meantime i can't recommend enough staying away from that terrible "what to expect when you're expecting" catastrophe. that's like showing "alive" as the inflight movie. gah.

congrats by the way. and if you do decide to write something i'm sure you'll get lots of feed back and "secrets" here. pregnancy is nothing if not strange and bizarre.
anoushh
Beck,
Sorry to hear that. Sounds like you are doing really well, though. It's such a common experience.

Congratulations to fiddler and lapis!
moxiegirl
kelly...congratulations! To be honest with you, I found all the books either wayyyyy too paranoid (you stubbed your toe...sign of miscarriage?) or wayyyy to laid back (you're bleeding for hours...take a bath) for my tastes. I found websites like the babycenter.com and pregnancy.com good for "science-y" information, and the ladies here in BUST great for emotional support. Good luck!
beck
thanks anoushh, i really appreciated all the advice you and the other BUSTies gave. we'll be trying again very soon and i'm hoping for the best for next time...feeling physically much better now and pretty optimistic about things.
thatgirlkelly
thanks to everyone for the alternate ways to get pregnancy info.

New question. I'm trying to find a doctor, and if you belive any of the books or movies you see, you would think you could actually TALK to a doctor before the first exam. Well not in my experience. It seems that most places are baby mills. You don't even get to meet the doctor at the first visit, just a nurse practioner (who in my experience tend to be far more knowledable than their higher paid counterparts) but they aren't the one in delivery room.

How do you decide on a doctor? I'm not telling anyone that I'm pregnant, not until after the 1st trimester, so its hard to get recommendations. Do any of you know of a good ob/gyn with a strong medical bent, but willing to work with me during the delivery, i.e. allow me to try different position, etc. I'm in Seattle. oh, and I want a female doc, preferably one with tattoos and nipple rings. Just kidding, nipple rings are optional.
car
Mazel Tov Fiddler and Kelly!!! Wishing you an easy pregnancy

Just say to yourself "TODAY, I am pregnant.....", I foudn that in early pregnancy, when I was worried about everything, that simple mantra really helped.

and Beck, I'm so sorry.....
pepper
yay and yay some more! you are so getting a handmade baby something from me.

constipation, look for unsulfered apricots (they will be brown instead of bright orange) and drink lots of water. prunes and prune juice actually work wonders too. if you are really in a bind (heh) senna tea will not let you down but it is STRONG! so be careful (it will say not to use during pregnancy unless on the advice of a medical practitioner, that's cautionary, imo it's ok, better than drugs anyhow!). make a pot of tea with one tea bag and another of something herbal to dilute it and then only drink one cup per day. but try the dried fruit and water first.
prenatals can constipate you too, you can try another version for a while or mix and match different kinds. there is a good whole food prenatal called "perfect prenatal" that's all natural and less constipating.

little was so darn happy when we were expecting and he is just the Best bigger brother ever now. he really, really digs this little girl.

xo, i am so excitamated pour vous!
thatgirlkelly
re: constipation

My nutritionist has me on a calcium,magnesium powder that I mix with water and drink at night before bed. The magnesium acts as a natural laxitive....two birds one stone!

i'm just beginning to get the morning sickness. it's intermitant at this point. the hormones, however, are SCREAMING and made me an ogar yesterday....sigh.
moxiegirl
blanche! That's WONDERFUL! Have you tried ginger tea or ginger ale for the pukey-ness? Once I switched from the "prenate" to regular one-a-day vitamins, all nausea went away like magic.

Constipation...try a little beneflex fiber power sprinkled on morning oatmeal, etc. Just a tiny bit a day does wonders. Fiber, fiber, fiber! (That's why prunes work, too!).

Oh, I'm not looking forward to the morning sickess again. Not pregnant yet, but hopefully shortly after the holidays. I want to drink enough to not be bothered during christmas. smile.gif
shinyx3
mag citrate is a great constipation remedy. you can get in in powder form so you can titrate to your needs at any health food or vitamin store.
pepper
oh, you can have some wine. just half a glass mixed with a bit of water. that much is totally ok and only once in a while is practically negligable.

here's a link to a brochure for perfect prenatal that you can take to your doc.
http://www.new-chapter.com/product/popup/prenatel_lit.html

and a link to some midwives who recommend it.
http://www.new-chapter.com/product/popup/prenatel.html

xo!
kiss_the_fiddler
Hi all.

I'm on vacation, camping on the rainy OR coast. This board has been a busy place lately, very cool! Congrats to the other newly pregger Busties! I'm 6 wks, 3 days preg myself. Mostly I'm just so tired. Absolutely wiped out. And my bbs hurt, especially my nipples, all tingly like my foot feels when I sit on it wrong. Haven't had morning sickness to bad yet but I thought it was going to lay me out this morning. I find that sucking on ginger helps, and eating a small something even though it goes against everything my body seems to want also helps. I've had a low grade constant hormone headache for the last copula weeks but I don't care. I'm finally pregnant! That's what matters. I'll take the headache if it will get me a baby. Also having a little issue with constipation but not too bad. The thing that cracks me up the most though, is that I have to pee every little while. I don't know why, it's not like I have a big baby head pushing on my bladder yet.

It's funny - I know a thing or two about pregnancy - I used to work in a home for pregnant teens. I can't seem to apply any of my knowledge to myself though, on a personal level. It's like that with my trained profession too. I went to school to be a therapist. I know all sorts of theory and therapeutic models, I can't apply any of them to myself. Anyway . . . Rambling on here.

Wishing all of us the best of luck and a HH9M!

fiddler
moxiegirl
you have to pee more because you are developing WAY more liquid in your body...like 3X the normal amount between amniotic fluid, increased blood supply and general water gain. Its alot more for the kidneys to process.
kiss_the_fiddler
moxie, that's EXACTLY what shiny told me. Thanks.

fiddler
Lindsey
We have been trying since Aug. to get pregnant. It is frustrating because my cycle is so crazy... I started Aug. 19 and my cycle was 36 days... Not pregnant... Started Sept. 24 and my cycle was 41 days... not pregnant... November 4... Now I have been told by my doctor that I have BV. Which causes low birth weight and premature delivery... I have treated the BV but it easily comes back... So I should ovulate some time between the 22 and the 30. (depends on when my period decides to come) I am wondering if anyone on here has had BV and some tips on becoming pregnant. I know that we haven't been trying for every long but I am still frustrated and need some support. Thanks gals!
pepper
there is a whole thread in Our Bodies Our Selves on BV. check it out and good luck!
kiss_the_fiddler
Hi Lindsey,

I sure can relate to the frustration of not getting pregnant when that's what you want to do. My cycles were irregular too. What worked for me - using OPK strips from about cycle day 14. I bought the cheapies for this. When the line started to get dark, I switched to the digital OPK's (more expensive). When I got a positive dig opk, I'd time the insemination by that. I also watched my cervical mucus. When it was like egg whites, I knew I'd ovulate soon. The second half of my cycle was short so doc put me on prog cream. Some people have side effects from it but I don't. I've been on clomid and trigger shots but they didn't work. The best thing for me was to work with my diet to help my body correct it's own hormones. Something finally clicked, because now I'm pregnant! I wish you the very best of luck.

fiddler
loverufus
hello everyone,

congrats to the newly pregnant women in here!

i'm not pregnant yet (i highly doubt), but hopefully my partner and i will be trying fairly soon (in the next few months, perhaps). but i have a question that i've always been curious about. i've read and heard that for some women who are very newly pregnant, the signs of being pregnant can sometimes be confused with starting one's period.

what i'm wondering is - what are those signs? i know that breast tenderness is common with both - but what else is? by my calculations, i should have started my period by now, but there is really no sign - other than breast tenderness and that sort of distant crampiness. i really don't think i'm pregnant - but this is something i've always been curious about and it never hurts to ask!

thanks so much for any input!
kiss_the_fiddler
Lover,
Yes, some early pregnancy symptoms mimic those of getting your period. Some women get light spotting or even light bleeding around the time of their period when they're really pregnant. This is implantation bleeding, caused when the fertilized egg burrows itself into the lining of the uterus. Women can also experience cramping similar to getting their period. And yes, sore bbs too and maybe a hormone headache. A good place to go look is here. It's a site for people who are using Northwest Cryobank in their TTC quest but they talk alot about their signs and symptoms. You wouldn't be very well received if you post there unless you're using the cryobank but you can read lots. That is the board that I spent lots of time on before I finally got pregnant. Anyway, hope that helps.

fiddler
pepper
i know they cost the earth but they're terrific. heya, are you taking any essential fatty acids? i took them throughout pregnancy, they are great for the baby's brain development (my mom told me she just heard of a recent study that showed baby grey matter increasing with efa's) and they are directly related to mood so work well at preventing andy postpardum depression. good for after pregnancy and i feed them to little whenever i can.
shinyx3
pepper, you are right about the fatty acids, there have been several recent studies showing a strong correlation to brain development in the early stages, continued through the first part of childhood as well while the brain is still elastic and developing.
loverufus
thanks kiss_the_fiddler! that helps a lot, actually - that was the thing i was wondering about the most - whether or not the cramping was also felt early in pregnancy. i'm a little late by a couple of days and i really don't think i am pregnant - but we've been discussing pregnancy so much lately, it's definately in my head.

anyway...i hope to be back in this thread again at some point!

happy pregnancy vibes to you all! smile.gif
kiss_the_fiddler
Lover,
If your period is late, you can pee on a stick and it might tell you if you're pregnant. Or, your period could be late because you're stressing about it. Good luck.

fiddler
Lindsey

Fiddler,

Thank you for the info. I am glad to hear that you are pregnant! Hope everything goes well for you. I will need to get more opk strips. I bought some of the first response. Never thought to buy the store brand and then switch. Is there a big difference in the digital (clear blue, first response, ect.) tests? I have been watching my cervical mucus and I can usually tell when I am ovulating. What is prog cream? Thanks again!

Lindsey
Lindsey
kiss_the_fiddler
Had my first prenatal appointment today. Got to see the heartbeat! It was so very cool. Doc says the little white dot in the black spot measured exactly where it should, just at six weeks. I go in again in two weeks. I'm so happy.

Lindsey,
I don't know if there are differences in the digital tests. They're expensive so I saved them until I thought the line on the cheaper one was getting darker. Progesterone cream is supposed to help lengthen the luteal phase of a woman's cycle. Best of luck to you.

fiddler
kiss_the_fiddler
Here's a our first picture. The baby is the white dot in the dark blob. I've never been so in love with a dot.

fiddler
kittenb
kiss_the_fiddler - it looks just like you!!!! I can almost make out the little fire fighter's hat.
beck
aw so happy for you! welcome to BUST, dot!
thatgirlkelly
I think Dot is winking at us!

Funny thing happend at the the doc's today. My GP had me in to confirm my pregnancy, do a BV test and discuss possible OB/GYNs. All in all a nice visit. I dropped off the urine sample at the lab and the tech had me wait for the test result which turned out.....NEGATIVE????

I was baffled, I mean, I 've done two home PG tests and both were positive two weeks ago. The tech said they were sending it out and there may have been a problem with the test. I of course went directly to Bartell's where I purchased a third test that has confirmed I'm preggers.

Can you say FREAKY? Maybe I'm only pregenant in certain realities and I temporarily jumped strings.
kiss_the_fiddler
OMG, that is freaky! How many days past ovulation are you? If you really think you're preggers and the pee tests say you are, then ask your doc for a blood test. Sometimes the pee sticks doc offices use are not as sensitive as the ones you can get at a drug store. Best of luck! (I think you're preggers)

fiddler
kiss_the_fiddler
Strange but true: I ate the most delicious turkey with cranberry fig sauce today. I HATE turkey. It's usually downright disgusting. I guess they're right when the say that sometimes pregnancy changes your taste for foods. Hmmm. . .

And, I had my first real bout with morning sickness today. More than just slightly queasy. Ugh. Thank goddess or whomever for phenergan.

fiddler
Lindsey
How many days past ovulation does implantation occur? I have been using opk and I ovulated on the 19 of this month. I have been feeling really weird the last couple days. I thought it would be too early to have any pregnancy symptoms but have been reading about people who have had symptoms just days after ovulation. I have had this weird twingy feeling in my stomach, I am so tired but can't fall asleep at night and then in the morning I am having a really hard time waking up, I have gas and been constipated, I have headaches (I get migrains about 3 times a month and am on pretentives/the headaches are pretty bad but not migrains). I was just treated for bv so I don't know if there is more discharge or not then usual (with bv there is abnormal amouts of discharge), I have back pain. Lower all the way up into my neck.(but I do hair so my arms are up a lot). I don't know if I am just wanted to be pregnant so badly that I am making myself have these symptoms or if it really is possible to have symptoms. If any of you had symptoms or have any information about implantation or any info that might help me please let me know. Thank you all!
kiss_the_fiddler
Lindsey, if you're anything like me, you'll have all sorts of pregnancy symptoms after you to the deed, regardless of whether or not you're really pregnant. Believe me, I know how much wanting something so much can affect one's body.

Implantation occurs 5-10 days after fertilization. You can get a positive home pregnancy test about 4 days after that. Best of luck.

fiddler
kiss_the_fiddler
so, how are y'all doing this week?

I'm tired this week. I mean really really tired. Not much morning sickness yet and that's okay with me. I get waves of nausea but it usually doesn't last long. It comes out of the blue and leaves in the same manner. I feel like I have brain drain too. Can't think. Can't find a thought. It's frustrating. I have things I need to do. I can't remember what and I don't have enough energy to do whatever it is anyway. I'm tired but I'm also not sleeping well at night. Go figure.

Mood wise, I'm starting to feel crazy. I'm moody as all hell. I feel like I should be happy. I finally have what I want, I should be happy. I am happy. And iI'm depressed and I'm so f-ing bitchy. My poor sweetie. She's really trying to understand but she makes fun of me alot too. Then I get all pissy.

Enough about me. How are all of you?

fiddler
pepper
i'm sorry to sound like a broken record here but are you all taking your essential fatty acids? they will help immensely with mood especially.

good maude woman, you moved furniture?! you're crazy like me. at the end my neighbours out at the cottage were making more than a little noise about me carrying little around. i mean, he's SIX! what the hey, he's still my baby too. and i moved furniture. lots and lots of furniture. first across the country and then when i cleaned out the cottages. the chiropracter really, really likes me a lot rolleyes.gif then again, i kinda love him too.
kiss_the_fiddler
pepper,
i take something called udo's oils. it's not fish oil based at all ut it still tastes vile. oh, well.
fiddler
thatgirlkelly
Hi All--Hope TNXS Giving was good for all. I flew down to California to see my mom and hang with friends. I always forget how fun Jenga is...dork alert.

I flew back Sunday morning and noticed I was spotting a bit. By the time I got home I was full on bleeding with clumps. I left a messge for the doc and waited it out until Monday morning. Still bleeding, so I was pretty sure things weren't sticking. The doc had me in for a blood preg test and did a quick pelvic exam. It seems my cervix was not dialated and there seem to be a bump where a bump should be.

Today is Tuesday and I'm waiting on the results from the blood work. If it comes back positive I will go it for an ultrasound (I haven't had my first visit with the OB yet...late december is the date). I'm nauseous but my bbs aren't as tender.

It would suck if it didn't stick, but this early on I'm okay with it. What I hate is this "WTF is going on" feeling with no definitive answers.

If this kid goes to full term, I have a suspicion it will grow up to be in politics. Keep all fingers and toes crossed!
moxiegirl
*delurks* Blanche, you might also want to look into prenatal massage for your back. I go to a local massage school, and when I was pregnant, the "teachers" worked on me, not the students. But, it was still less expensive than the chiropractor and a spa!

*relurks*
lelu
thatgirlkelly, it sounds like maybe a subchoriotic hematoma? I had one with my son and I bled and bled and was really clotty, but everything turned out fine. It's basically a huge blood clot that builds inside your uterus if there is bleeding during implantation. Mine was spotted during an ultrasound after I started bleeding. I was around 8 wks.

sticky baby vibes to you!
pepper
sticky babe vibes for sure! but only for a healthy baby, sometimes if something's wrong the bump gets kicked out. harsh i know but good in the long run.

the chiropractor is my friend, mmhmm. i do loves him so. massage is de-lovely but i like the snap-crackle-PoP! feels so darn good.
thatgirlkelly
Thanks for all the vibes. The blood work came back and the hormones aren't where they should be at this point, so it seems I'm kicking the bump out. And like Pepper said, it is likely for the best. I go back in tomorrow for a follow up blood draw to confirm that they drop to zero.

I work in Biotech so the science geek in me gets what is going on. Still I can't shake a bit of the blues. The boy, I think, is more broken up about this than me. Anywho, guess I have to get back on that horse and ride....yummy! Any ideas how long the body takes to reset and begin ovulation after a near miss?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.