Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pregnancy - all things good, bad, and otherwise
The BUST Lounge > Forums > Our Bodies, Our Hells
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90
kiss_the_fiddler
welcome to the club!

yes, as far as i can tell, it's pretty normal to worry about every little thing - especially if this is your first time. while it's normal, it's not necessarily healthy. whatever will be will be. whatever you do, don't read the book 'what to expect'. it will scare you about every step you take. do what you can to relax. take naps if you're tired. eat things that are good for you. you can get online and find all sorts of info (good and otherwise). i'm having fun at the pregnancy.org website. there you can meet other women who are due in the same month that you are. anyway . . . glad you're here.

fiddler
loverufus
thanks fiddler!

i just hope that all my worrying thus far hasn't caused any damage! it was just that first week of finding out i'm pregnant and for a few days into the next week. plus, having family here over the holidays added an extra little bit of stress.

however, i am really going to try and focus on all the good things and try to relax. yesterday and for the next couple of days at work it's going to be busy, but after that, i hope things slow down.

ha ha ha, i think i read somewhere on here not to read "what to expect". so, that definately won't be on my list if it's going to make me panic even more. i heard of a book called "panic-free pregnancy" - which sounds like something i might want to read. i have been looking at different sites - i'm sure i've been to pregnancy.org. babycentre.?? also has some interesting info, too.

i am honestly looking forward to growing a belly (and i am convinced already that i've started) and experiencing all the aches and pains of being pregnant. smile.gif
kiss_the_fiddler
lol. your belly probably is bigger. But, it's not your baby, it's bloating. How romantic, huh? Your body is increasing its fluid level right now to support your pregnancy. So, yes, your belly is bigger.

during my first month or so of pregnancy, my lower back hurt all the time, like it does before my period. that let up when the morning sickness set in. i hope you don't get morning sickness but if you do, try ginger. also, i have something that i got at my local health food store that works pretty well. i don't remember what it's called but if you ask, i'll find the name for you.

relax, cuddle up with your significant other and think of baby names, go to bed early, take a warm (not hot) bath, go for walks, and don't worry. you and your baby are probably just fine.

fiddler
loverufus
ha ha ha, yeah, i kind of figured it was bloat. but i can't wait for it to be baby.

right now, i'm looking forward to getting through tomorrow at work, and then relaxing for a few days. on the couch, covered in blankets. smile.gif

my low back is hurting a lot right now, actually. well, i have a bad back anyways, and my posture as a result of work last week is the culprit, i think. i've heard of women who have back problem before pregnancy and during pregnancy their back issues seem to go away...i can only hope that will be my case.

how have you been feeling, fiddler?
kiss_the_fiddler
I'm feeling better. Thanks for asking. I still have my moments of "can't move a muscle or I'm going to puke" feeling but it's not 24/7 anymore. It's only a coupla times a day and doesn't last all day. Whew. I'm still pretty tired and nap every day but that's okay. I felt like I had a good day today because I did two loads of laundry plus two loads of dishes in the dishwasher and led my usual Friday night Celtic music session in town. I'm pretty tired now but I feel happy that I actually got something (anything is better than nothing) done today.

fiddler
loverufus
ooh! a celtic music session sounds fun! what does that involve?

i think i've caught a cold. yesterday my throat was quite sore, so i took a little teaspoon of honey and that seemed to help. same with last night - hurt to swallow so i took another bit of honey. i think it's just super dry at work and a little bit at home. i hope it doesn't go further than that and i plan to rest and relax the whole day today.

fiddler, you must be heading into your second trimester soon, if not already? i heard that's when energy levels start going up.

happy sunday to everyone!
kiss_the_fiddler
hi lover,

ew, colds suck. get a humidifier or vaporizer and put it where you spend the most time, probably next to your bed. And up your fluid intake. Whether you have a cold or whether you're simply dry, it will help.

I'm still a coupla weeks away from my second trimester. I'm almost 12 weeks and I think the second tri starts after 14 weeks. I'm getting close though. Whew.

Ah, the music. I'm a fiddle player. Leading a Celtic music session involves first finding a venue that is willing to support it. In this case, it's a small shop that sells Celtic items. Second, a session needs a designated leader (at least until it's well established) - that's me. Then, it's advertised and musicians show up. Soon, people begin to come every week because they know it's a sure thing. It's fun (usually). It still feels like work to me but people are being introduced to the music and that part is really fun. Anyway . . . If you want to find a session near you, I could help you.

Hope your cold is a quick one. Glad you're taking some time to rest and relax.

fiddler
kiss_the_fiddler
Grrr. . . I had written a whole response and my silly cat jumped up and managed to lose the entire thing. Oh, well.

I have a hunch that I'm having a boy. I've been pretty sick though. Hmmm. . . Shiny was quite sick, far past her first trimester - she now has a beautiful baby boy. I can hardly wait to know.

As far as music goes - if you want to find a Celtic session near you, you can go to www.thesession.org. I don't think you have to sign in to search. You can search for a session by country , state, city. It's a good idea to call ahead to see if it's still going on. Have fun.

fiddler
loverufus
i just bought a humidifier and set it up in our bedroom. smile.gif my throat's been feeling better, but still dry and scratchy.

blanche, how far along are you?

well, i've just spent most of the day out and about and i am exhausted...i can't see myself staying up to ring in the new year...but have a happy new year to everyone!! smile.gif
moxiegirl
Hey ladies! Hope everyone got to eat and retain christmas cuisine!

As we're talking about TTC number 2, the subject matter of baby names has entered our home again. Moxieman found this baby naming wizard that looks cool. Thought you all might have some fun!

beck
*delurks* heehee this baby wizard is fun! it's tempting to use it to generate comedy baby names rather than real ones though

*relurks*
kiss_the_fiddler
heya all,

i'm just back from my 12 week appointment. good news and bad news. good news first. our little one is doing very well. we got to see the little arms and legs kicking away and the spinal column and the heart beating away in the little chest. that was so cool! bad news is that doc things i have have gallbladder disease and won't treat it when i'm pregnant. i spent much of today bent over the toilet of a bowl with dry heaves. not fun at all. the dr gave me an rx for zofran. i hope it helps with the puking. i'm not supposed to try to eat food, just focus on fluids. i go back in a week. i sure hope the new rx helps. ugh.

fiddler
moxiegirl
fiddler, great for bebe, bad for mommy! I also thought about you reading an article on gay divorce rates in Massachusettes, and how married couples are having horrible times with custody issues because the non-bio parent never co-adopted, even after a legal marriage. One of the divorce attorneys is now 100% couseling gay and lesbian couples for whom he is doing pre-nups to CO-ADOPT prior to the marriage. Interesting, eh? Can mrs.fiddler adopt with a same-sex bio parent where you live? For bebe's sake, I hope so!
kiss_the_fiddler
yeppers! we've already got the adoption in the works. we'll be able to finalize as soon as little one is born. we've both excited about that. where we live, we can't have a legal marriage. we do have the same last name though (went to court and did that years ago). so far, the new rx is working. i've already drank about a cup of juice and so far, it's stayed down! woot!

fiddler
beck
great news on the baby fiddler! hope the new prescription keeps working
kiss_the_fiddler
LOL. I don't mind you asking at all. Long story short, we purchased sperm from a cryobank. I peed on ovulation predictor sticks and when I got my LH surge, I called my doc. Went in that day or next for an ultrasound of my ovaries to see which side I was ovulating on because I only have one open tube. The day after I ovulated, I went to the dr and he inserted the sperm via a small catheter through my cervix. Then I laid there with my ass in the air for 30 minutes. Done! I never confused babymaking with lovemaking.

If you have more questions, I'm happy to entertain them. The short answer today is because I don't feel well. I'll tell you more about the entire process if you want to know but I also don't want to bore you. Honestly, I don't mind questions at all.

fiddler
loverufus
oh fiddler, that sucks about having gallbladder disease during your pregnancy!! i hope you feel better soon and things work well with the new rx.

but great news about your little one!! that must be so exciting to know that things are progressing well. smile.gif
3rdpglady
I just found out the day after CHRISTMAS that i am pregnant with my third child!!
I am having complications about my discharge though.
Havent seen a doctor yet cause I just went to a clinic yesterday to see if I really was pg or not. They said I was already 6 weeks along.
I am worried about it and its gonna be awhile b4 I can get with my doctor on it and needed some info/help. I just started getting this discharge a few days ago. Its kinda of yellowish and it would literally hang out of me when I sit on the toilet to pee. It also has a foul odor to it. Now I just got over a yeast infection b4 I found out I was pg so I dont know if its associated with the yeast infection or my pg or what. Plz Plz reply with what you know.
Thanz
kiss_the_fiddler
hmmm. . . i don't think that your discharge should smell bad. try to see your dr right away. maybe you have an infection that's not a yeasty. i know that pregnancy can make you more juicy than usual, but i really don't think it should have a foul smell.

fiddler
kiss_the_fiddler
p.s. also maybe ask in the bv or general health questions thread. though the focus isn't pregnancy, the gals there may be able to help you. good luck.

fiddler
loridk
Oh man, I found out on Christmas eve last year I was pregnant with my third child. Oddly, exactly a year later to the day, I got my period again.

Anyway, the discharge thing sounds fairly common except for the smell. Is there itching? Burning? I suggest calling your doctor and asking if it's normal.

Awww...an ultrasound! They're always so exciting.

Is it weird that I'm not pregnant and in this thread? I have 3 kids and one is only 4 months old so I have been there haha
moxiegirl
bottle sanitzers=fluff! Per our pediatrician, a man with 3 kids of his own. smile.gif In my experience, other fluff items include the diaper genie and wipes warmer. We bottle fed moxette, and hand-washed her bottles and nipples every night, and dishwashered them once a week.

Needed items...hmmm....we loved the exersaucer for when she was a bit older (but I got mine at the 2nd hand store), and a really good swing proved invaluable. Also, the more burp clothes you have, the better. Also, for an older bebe, the cheapie sippie cups (that look like tupperware) are by far the best for ease of use.
beck
period due this morning, it's now evening and no period. faint positive line on the test strip...light pink but definitely a line there.

have had a few dizzy spells, which is not like me at all. Also a little heartburn and intermittent boob twinges. Although wouldn't have expected any symptoms this soon.

*cautiously optimistic...*

am blatantly not going to follow the instructions and 'test again in 3 days', no, I will be peeing on a stick every single day till further notice. Good job I got 'em cheap on amazon.

hoping that it sticks this time - and if it's not gonna, please please be sooner rather than later. 9 1/2 weeks was not cool.

anoushh
Just saw this post, and can I relate!

I have to run now, but I wanted you to know you weren't alone in this. Not at all.

QUOTE(kiss_the_fiddler @ Nov 16 2007, 07:47 PM) *
Hi all.

It's funny - I know a thing or two about pregnancy - I used to work in a home for pregnant teens. I can't seem to apply any of my knowledge to myself though, on a personal level. It's like that with my trained profession too. I went to school to be a therapist. I know all sorts of theory and therapeutic models, I can't apply any of them to myself. Anyway . . . Rambling on here.

Wishing all of us the best of luck and a HH9M!

fiddler
anoushh
Oh, and good luck to beck!!
kiss_the_fiddler
Woohoo for beck! I hope this one sticks.

fiddler
beck
oops double post
beck
yippee! just peed on another stick and is definitely positive! not a faint line anymore, came up almost straight away and is much darker than yesterday! ooh i really hope i get to stick around this time, i want to hang out in here and join in the pg fun and games. smile.gif
loridk
(((Beck)))

Blanche, my sister told me hot water and soap is all that's needed. She's an NICU nurse so she gives this advice all the time when discharging babies. Yes, I'm lucky to have her.
Lindsey
Beck, CONGRATULATIONS! Hope it's a sticky one. I have decided that I am just going to hang around here now that I am alone in childless not by choice. It is good to hear that everyone is doing well!
pepper
yay beck! ~~sticky baby vibes~~

ooh, blanche baby! i see finger nails and toothies too! fantastic!

QUOTE(blanchedeveraux @ Jan 7 2008, 07:42 AM) *
This is a question for those of us who already have babies:

I plan to breastfeed, but who knows what will happen, and bottles will still be in our lives a little either way. SO... are bottle sanitizers something that is necessary, or kind of a high-maintenance item? I have a shiny new dishwasher with a "sanitize" setting, and I only use non-toxic earth-friendly soap in it.
I'm starting my baby registry, and sometimes it's hard to discern what is necessary and what is fluff!

i have a list somewhere, i'll come back after we get home from vacation.

x's and o's mommies!
beck
aw thanks all, i'm getting warm fuzzy feelings! I am trying to keep as chilled and happy as possible and send myself positive messages.

Last time i became a bit of an information junkie but this time i want to try and just let in the happy stuff. i have ordered a book pepper recommended by lennart nilsson which looks gorgeous and another by sheila kitzinger, but avoiding reading any scare-mongering stuff or surfing the net for statistics and things (which i did compulsively last time round and it did not help my mental state at all).

Am going to try not to go on any baby websites etc or read anything else until I pass 12 weeks, although I may get an early ultrasound at 8 weeks this time, not yet decided. I'm pretty sure i can remember all the foods and things to avoid so no need to look up any of that stuff.

To be honest, the people on other websites are dumb anyway, so why would i want to be anywhere else?

pepper
familyvillage.ca is a fantastic site of local (to me) mommies, most very natural. better than motheringdotcom for me, that site is so close to mainstream to me as to be a total waste of my time.

what did you get by sheila k? i read so much but didn't really keep a list and now my sister wants one and i have to really think back. i'll just have to research it as though it's my first time again. hee, someone's thinking of making me an auntie! that's how i broke the news to my sibs, i said "hey, i'm making you something" (i'm crafty so they're thinking "socks?") and then i said "Mmmhmm, an auntie/uncle." i did it to three out of four, never lost it's charm for me. the looks, i tell ya, whoo! i never get tired of that kinda thing.
beck
Oh what a great line- my sibs too would be likely to assume sock monkeys rather than babies! Can't wait to tell them (and hoping they don't guess before I'm ready to share).

I ordered The Complete Book of Pregnancy & Childbirth - it didn't have any reviews on amazon but i think she is pretty sound so it should be alright. I've also scoped out lots of books on homebirth but am waiting till 12 weeks to buy them, partly for the obvious reason but also because all the various friends and family I have visiting over the next couple of months would likely smell a rat. I am very keen on having a homebirth with a private midwife, but my bf is nervous, esp since my sil's recent complications in childbirth (she was very committed to a natural birth but ended up with an emergency c-section). Plus his mum is a doctor and extremely risk averse, so i want to do the groundwork with him so he understands it is not dangerous.

Plus with all the hospital superbugs here at the moment, i reckon i will be safer by far in my own home.
kiss_the_fiddler
Hi all. I know I had an appt a week ago. I was so sick then that doc wanted to see me again in a week. That appt was today. Babe looks good. Heartbeat looks strong and I could see the cord pulsing. I've even gained a pound in a week! Woot! I go back again in two weeks. I'm relieved that he's being careful. It's very reassuring. So, that's my update for the day. I think it's getting close to naptime.

fiddler
moxiegirl
whooo hoooo! Yeah blanche! We had to forgo the portions the entire first trimester b/c I was spotting so much. It sucked. The 2nd trimester is SO the "sweet spot" of being preggo.

Hey, that US is coolio! Did you find out if you're having a blanche-ette or a stanley? (and, YES, i expect kudos for the GG reference!)
3rdpglady
hey congrats on the positive pee pee soaked stick beck ;-]

that smelly vaginal discharge i had . . . four days later . . . GONE!!
i dont know whta it was or what caused it but everything is back to normal

havent had a chance to see a doctor yet and i am already 2 months along

i kn i have been having bad bad pg symptoms
worse than last two pgs
i get bad nausea but i just dont vomit up
but . . . today was the first time i did n it made me feel lots better

i'll b bak
-l8r

pepper
goody, tell me right away! i usually vote for not finding out but in this case i have mucho cutey-pie girly clothes to send to you if it's a tiny princess.
beck
just checking in to say hi to the pregnant ladies. so far this bean seems to be sticking around.

i decided i will get an early scan. can't decide whether to get one at 6 weeks or to hold out till 8 weeks and have a better chance of seeing a heartbeat and having real reassurance that things are ok.

I don't want to google it because then i will inevitably stumble upon scary stuff that i don't want to know about.

any advice from others who've had miscarriages?

kiss_the_fiddler
beck,
i had an ultrasound at 6 weeks and one at 8 weeks. at 6 weeks, our baby looked like a white pulsing dot in a dark grape sized sack. we could see the heartbeat but it's not at all uncommon to not see a heartbeat yet at 6 weeks. at our 8 weeks ultrasound, our baby was about the size of my thumb from the tip to the first joint and sort of shaped that way too, curved. we could see the heartbeat better by then. before we got our very first ultrasound, our doc warned us that he might not be able to see a heartbeat yet and that would be normal, even if i was still pregnant and doing well. we were lucky to see it the first time. hope that helps.

fiddler
kiss_the_fiddler
i'm gonna pitch a bitch here. sorry in advance.

before i got pregnant, i got migraines with every period. it was like adding insult to injury because getting my period meant that i wasn't pregnant. anyway . . . now that i am pregnant (very happily so), i get a fucking migraine at least once a week. i find it upsetting because it's just one more thing that i have to face, one more pain (on top of having fibromyalgia) and morning sickness. doc said for me to take lortab for migraines. i don't think i should take it though because i don't want to do anything to hurt the baby. the doctor says it's better for our baby if i'm not in constant pain because pain makes stress hormones which aren't good for baby either. so i'm torn. i took lortab today though and thank god (whoever's on call up there). it helped and now i can open both eyes with out searing pain and gagging. anyway, just needed to vent. thanks for listening.

fiddler
moxiegirl
take the benadryl! Your sleep is more important to bebeblanche than worrying about a pill. That reminds me...i need to get on the phone with Moxette's dr. to ask about this new FDA warning...she's only 2 months shy of 2yrs old, and hasn't ever had any trouble with cold meds, so I'm not terribly worried. This FDA thing is, I'm convinced, a few stupid and vocal people ruining a good tool for the rest of us.
pepper
oh sure, they tell you benadryl is ok but they positively Freak Out if you drink some valerian tea. sheesh!
moxiegirl
because valerian tea sounds like something from star trek. smile.gif
mavin
Been lurking. Congrats to all you pregnant BUSTies!

And good vibes for Fiddler. I, too, have fibromyalgia, and am about to be done with this pregnancy. I am looking forward to being medicated again. I couldn't take anything while preggo. Bah.

Which reminds me, if you have any medical questions, the pharmacists are good sources. My dr was constantly telling me I could take various meds that I could not take without hurting the baby (like my particular anti-depressant). I was double checking everything with the pharmacists I work with. Kind of scary.

Also, re: cold meds and babies. I hate this whole FDA thing. A few morons didn't read the instructions and prolly OD'd their children. The meds are still safe, you just need to make sure you give the right dosage and don't overdo it. (Can you tell I work in a pharmacy?)

I just wanted to pop in and send happy baby vibes, tho. I was due to pop with Baby #2 the 13th. SO, uh, I am sitting around waiting and waiting and waiting for this baby. She is so grounded for being late.
kiss_the_fiddler
oh, i totally agree about using pharmacists as a resource. i love my pharmacist. i talk to him at least a coupla times a week.

safe birthing thoughts to mavin.

fiddler
moxiegirl
My pediatrician says the lables "ask a doctor" mean just that. Don't diagnose or medicate self...and generally you'll be fine.

Going off the BC end of this week...wait, that's tomorrow. Wow. Both moxieman and i are so sick, though, that lovin ain't happenin now anyway.
beck
ooh exciting moxie! get well soon.

i decided to try and hold out till 7 or 8 weeks for a scan. i hate the place where i have to go for them, otherwise i would go next week as well.

it's at my local hospital's early pregnancy unit and you have to wait for hours in this nasty waiting room, it's where you are referred if you are having bleeding and stuff so it's quite a depressing place to spend half a day and not full of fond memories for me.

i love our health service for being free, but it'd be fair to say that in this case, it's not really focused on the customer experience...

beck
i think the pg tiredness has kicked in. 5 weeks and 4 days today. have been going to bed early and getting more sleep than usual but was tired as soon as I got up today. it's now almost time to leave work and my brain has been so fuzzy all day. i'm going to my friend's place for dinner but i just want to sleeeeep!
loverufus
beck, i so relate to the sleepiness. i'm 8 weeks and 4 days and for a few weeks now all i've wanted to do is sleep. it's torture to be ripped from a warm and cozy bed to get ready for work. sad.gif all i look forward to is coming home and curling up again!! aaahhh...so sweet.

happy pregnancy vibes to everyone and happy birthing vibes to mavin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.