Full Version: Something to think about.... the 'Quote Of The Day' thread
The BUST Lounge > Forums > As the World Turns
Pages: 1, 2, 3
strongatheist
If it harm none, do as ye will.

Heard it a while back and I love it.
Arcadia
"Love makes its own morality."
-From The Rules of Engagement, by Catherine Bush.

I had to read this in my Intro to English Lit class in my second year of uni and fell madly in love with the above line.
I just find it to be so true.
i_am_jan
"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion."

-G.K. Chesterton
knorl05
If particular care and attention is not paid to the ladies, we are determined to foment a rebellion, and will not hold ourselves bound by any laws in which we have no voice, or representation.
-Abigail Adams
into_a_bulb
"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream of things that never were, and ask why not? "
-Robert Kennedy
kelkello
"To me, wanting every habitable planet to be inhabited is like wanting everyone to have athlete's foot"
~Kurt Vonnnegut
i_am_jan
The true test of a first-rate mind is the ability to hold two contradictory ideas at the same time.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald
DaisyJane
Just because we can, doesnt mean we should.
LustfullyPink
Anytime I'm about to perform something or trying to talk myself out of doing something I know I will thank myself for doing later, even if I don't want to do it at the present time;

"Mind on ice, heart on fire"
Arcadia
I have always loved:

"Not all who wander are lost."
- J.R.R. Tolkien.

Whenever I feel lost or hopeless I stop to remind myself that I'm actually just wandering and things will improve sooner rather than later.
knorl05
"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself."
– Harvey Fierstein
hazystargazer
QUOTE(Arcadia @ May 24 2007, 09:46 PM) *
I have always loved:

"Not all who wander are lost."
- J.R.R. Tolkien.

Whenever I feel lost or hopeless I stop to remind myself that I'm actually just wandering and things will improve sooner rather than later.

One of my favorite quotes of all time! It pretty much describes my life right now. Wandering can be a good thing.
freckleface7
"Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul."
- Samuel Ullman

I love that, it's so true.
when we lose our curiosity and our interest in people and places and things around us, Then we grow old.

I also thought this one was especially pertinent for the state of the world; I believe that as long as it doesn't cause harm to anyone else. many steps to heaven, one God and all. (sorry for getting politcal here).

"Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with. His mind was created for his own thoughts, not yours or mine."
- Henry S. Haskins
josje
"In twenty years time from now, you will regret more the things you didn't do thatn those you did do" mark twain

"LIfe is like riding a bicycle, you din't fall off unless you stop peddling" claude Pepper

"Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyways"

"For a long time it had seemed to me that life was about to begin, real life. But there was always some obstacle in the way, something to be gotten through first, some unfinished business. Time still to be served, a debt to be paid. Then life would begin. At last, it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life" Alfred D. Souza

"The cost of progress is often our past"

.em.
This is from the Sandman by Neil Gaiman:

"No. They belong to themselves...they just hate to have to face up to it."

-Lucifer Morningstar, the Sandman Vol 4: Seasons of Mist, pg 82.
Arcadia

"I love you as certain dark things are loved, secretly, between the shadow and the soul."

- Pablo Neruda.

That quote has so much feeling, I find. I relate to it because I've loved people that way. Like when you know you shouldn't love someone, but you do anyway because you are compelled to from the depths of your soul.

pollystyrene
I don't usually look in this thread, so I don't know if this has been posted before, but I found it on a piece of paper I've had since high school from a poster one of my teachers had on their wall. Turns out it wasn't the complete quote and thanks to the internet, I found the whole thing:

One final paragraph of advice: Do not burn yourself out. Be as I am-a reluctant enthusiast... a part time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it is still there. So get out there and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, encounter the grizz, climb the mountains. Run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, that lovely, mysterious and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards.

~Edward Abbey

It makes me want to go camping and hug a tree. I love it.
shinyx3
Rest in peace. Ed. very wise man!
knorl05
"More than those who hate you, more than all your enemies, an undisciplined mind does greater harm."

~ Buddha, 6th century bce Indian mystic and founder of Buddhism from The Dhammapada

missladyj
So I had this dream where I was arguing with an older women she tells me to "Cool it!"

My response was " My thermostat doesn't go to Cool it! ".

I have been running around saying that ever since cuz I think I'm really funny even while dreaming.
knorl05
"Everyone now knows that the ability to endure contradiction is a high sign of culture." - Friedrich Nietzsche
freckleface7
" Why wait for realisations when you can live now in an organic sense of oneness?
May your resolutions this year contain the actions of the life you've always wanted to live!
"

- excerpt from the Daily Zen that I am totally grooving to and might change my sig line to
neurotic.nelly
When our inner situation is not made conscious, it appears outside as fate. (Jung)
knorl05
"Do not be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment."
– Ralph Waldo Emerson
tesao
"human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. a nation does not have to be cruel to be tough."

- franklin d. roosevelt
knorl05
tesao: i like that...

"If a little dreaming is dangerous, the cure for it is not to dream less but to dream more, to dream all the time."
– Marcel Proust
knorl05
ps. a good source for quotes: brainyquote.com
neurotic.nelly
In the church of my heart, the choir is on fire!! - Mayakovsky
neurotic.nelly
A warrior knows that she is waiting,
and she knows what she is waiting for, and
while she waits, she feasts her eyes upon
the world. A warrior's ultimate accomplishment
is to enjoy the joy of infinity.
-Castaneda
culturehandy
bump
LustfullyPink
Okay, I was looking for the "General Knowledge" Thread but couldn't find it so I think this one will work just as well. Does anyone know what the quote "Get off the cross, someone else needs the wood." means? I suppose my metaphor meter is all out of whack, but I just don't get it. OH and another quote that goes something like "I heard someone was selling wooden heads down on the street corner."

I have a friend who's crazy catholic grandmother is in town and she keeps spouting off quotes like that and it's WONDERFUL! I keep a notepad around all the time when I'm around that woman.
crazyoldcatlady
i always took the first quote to mean something along the lines of, stop being a martyr and wasting everyone's time/energy/resources.

the wooden head thing is new to me. but i love ppl like that, the kind of people i could follow around all day with a tape recorder b/c of the shit that comes out they' mouth
i_am_jan
Then you guys will love this one: my grandfather used to act really zany and 'ornery', (sounds a lot like the aforementioned catholic grandmother) ~ when he was like, 80, he would always tell me:

"Stick with me kid, I'll have ya fartin out of your silk underwear."
laugh.gif

whatever that meant! It always cracked me up so bad.
neurotic.nelly
Education is the ability to listen to almost anything, without losing your temper. -Robert Frost.
knorl05
dig it
tesao
"there are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it."

- edith wharton
crazyoldcatlady
To every man is given the key to the gates of heaven; the same key opens the gates of hell.

-Buddhist proverb
neurotic.nelly
There is no one story. But, if you take all the stories, put em' together, you'll probably have a more accurate picture of the earth's history.
-James Gilliand
knorl05
“The difference between where you are today and where you’ll be five years from now will be found in the quality of books you’ve read.” ~ Jim Rohn

"The artist alone sees spirits. But after he has told of their appearing to him, everybody sees them." ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
crazyoldcatlady
"What is your trouble? Mistaken identity." - Wei Wu Wei (from Ask the Awakened)
neurotic.nelly
Einstein could not reconcile himself to the uncertainty principle of Heisenberg or bring it into accord with his won theories. His view was, "God does not play with dice." But the uncertainty principle, based on quantum theory, is a part of the accepted thinking of the physicists of our day. At the root levels of creation, in terms of this principle, we live in a universe of high probabilities but not of absolute certainty.

From 'Kundalini for the New Age' - the selected writings of Gopi Krishna

girltrouble
bump for vixen
Persiflager
“In mathematics, you don’t understand things. You just get used to them.”
John von Neumann
zoya
"the key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering." - Bruce Lee
Melanielouise
Recently I have found this quote very very insightful

"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
—Thomas Jefferson, letter to Albert Gallatin, 1802
stargazer
"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome."
-Booker T.Washington
knorl05
QUOTE(electric @ Apr 25 2006, 04:42 PM) *
" Education is something which should be apart from the necessities of earning a living, not a tool therefore. It needs contemplation, fallow periods, the measured and guided study of the history of man's reiteration of the most agonizing question of all: Why? Today the good ones, the ones who want to ask why, find no one around with any interest in answering the question, so they drop out, because theirs is the type of mind which becomes monstrously bored at the trade-school concept." <BR> <BR>- John D. MacDonald

hiddenpoet
"man errs as long as he strives."
- Goethe
Persiflager
“This whole ‘Poor lonely Jen’ thing, this idea that I’m so unlucky in love? I actually feel I’ve been unbelievably lucky in love. I don’t feel like I’m supposed to be any further along or somewhere that I’m not. I’m right where I’m supposed to be.”

Jennifer Aniston
girl_logic
Guess what, April is poetry month!

I find this one very something or other:

Even after all this time
the sun never says to the earth
"You owe me."
Look what happens with a love like that,
It lights up
the whole sky.

-Hafiz

someone painted it here http://www.weblogimages.com/v.p?uid=claird...;sid=dgQ33lGRU4
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.