In honor of the remake of Carrie, we bring you a bloody good roundup of menses in the movies.
Menarche in the Movies
From tampon trouble to genuine terror, these young ladies just werenâ€™t ready for their first flow.
1. My Girl (1991) - Eleven-year-old hypochondriac Vada assumes sheâ€™s hemorrhaging when she gets her first period
2. The Runaways(2010) - Cherieâ€™s first menses bursts forth when she least expects it, so an emergency trip to a public restroom is necessary to staunch the flow.
3. Carrie (1976) - NaĂŻve, abused Carrie has a freak-out in the school showers when she thinks sheâ€™s bleeding to death following her firstâ€”very publicâ€”period.
The link between the monthly cycle of werewolves and the monthly mood swings that women endure pre-period is cinema gold.
4. Dog Soldiers (2002) - â€śItâ€™s that time of the month,â€ť asserts a sassy redhead before changing into a menstruating werewolf and attacking a terrified squad of military men.
5. Ginger Snaps (2000) Ginger is bitten by a werewolf following her first period, and her sister Brigitte struggles to differentiate between the symptoms of impeding wolf-dom and the regular surprises that come with puberty.
Men and Menstruation
Brazen gals brandish their periods like weapons when confronting squeamish dudes.
6. Clueless (1995) - Sharp-tongued Cher makes her teacher Mr. Hall squirm by asserting that she was only late because she was â€śsurfing the crimson wave.â€ť
7. Mean Girls (2004) - When the principal of North Shore High asks his students if any of them has a â€ślady problem,â€ť heâ€™s treated to graphic explanations of heavy flows.
8. Superbad (2007) - A menstruating woman grinds up against a high schooler at a party, leaving bloody evidence on his pant leg.
In these foreign films, even the dead need to stock up on tampons.
9. A Tale of Two Sisters (2003) - In this South Korean fright fest, Su-mi finds blood on her twin sister Su-yeonâ€™s side of the bed, but the cause is more complicated than just a leaky pad.
10. The Menstruating Ghost of Puncak(2010) - An Indonesian horror-comedy about a ghost on the rag, Hantu Puncak Datang Bulan made its debut in Jakarta in 2010 and was quickly condemned by the countryâ€™s highest council of Muslim clerics. Luckily for the filmmaker, no fatwa was issued.
This story appears in the Oct/Nov 2013 issue of BUST Magazine with Neko Case. Subscribe now.